Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird Electrical Issue

As you all know, my wagon is possesed. It has weird electrical issue always.

So, first it was dying occasionaly. Like the starter maybe? It would click and then suck all the juice and die, or do that a few times then start right up, even though a second ago the batt meter said it was dead. I jumped it. Then, the batt meter would raise with rpm's untill it hit the top. I changed alternators and that stopped, but it killed the battery in between. I charged the battery. Now, it stays at 8 on the batt meter at all times , and the stop lamp light, e brake light, and brake fluid light dont turn off???

Any ideas?:confused:

What did you replace the alternator with--a jy, a rebuild or a known good? I'd see if I could replace the starter, battery and alt all at the same time with known good parts, then swap back to your original alternator to see if you just put a bad one back in. Sounds like you fried your starter as well as the battery when the alt went before (I've had this happen with 4 cars in the past year---4 batteries, 4 alts and 3 starters)

The diodes in the rectifier in the alternator may be fried. The glowing warning lamps ordinarily signal dead or dying alternator. The alternator and battery coexist like a married couple. If one goes sour, it often causes the other to fail. I would be surprised if the problem was not solved with a new alternator and new battery. If you can get to this point, avoid all jump starting activities. Jump starting your vehicle or using yours to jump start someone elses can fry your diodes. Don't ask me how I know this.