Ultimate Subaru Message Board

reclock rear torsion bar for more lift

Scott in Bellingham

were lifting a EA81 Hatch , would like to reclock the rear torsion bar to get 3 " lift , whats involved, how many teeth do you go , what need modified and how thanks

1 tooth only. my red 82 Brat has this done to it.... along with a BYB lift....

put on jackstands in rear, and remove wheels

I scratched a line across the plate, and the end of the bar for a reference.

you have to take off the 3 bolts that gold the plate to the trailing arm, and remove the bolt that holds the plate onto the bar.

pull the plate slowly out, and just as it comes free, and rotate the plate down (towards the rear) 1 notch only, and slide it back on and check your scratch marks to make sure you only went 1 notch.

re-attach all bolts...

for the 3 that attach to the trailing arm, you'll most likely need to use a jack to raise the plate enough to re-attach...

prepare for a lot rougher ride :)

A lot rougher ride indeed.

But moreover. This will restrict travel, which of course means less chance of wheels being on the ground, which of course means less traction.

All my wheeling lifted Soobs has taught me that they wheel best with the torsion bar dialed down to it's lowest hight, with no clocking involved.

I learned about the clocking when I had my first hatch, before I'd ever heard of lifting them, so I'm not new at it.

I managed to climb right up upper 311 at Evans Creek with a hatch sitting on 26 inch tires and an lsd. Wait till we take you there, you'll say "DAMN!" :brow::clap: