Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Top ea81 Performance Mods?

Thanks! :DCan you tell me where to find info. on the cam mods? I found some great info. on the pistons by searching "pistons" in the titles of this forum... LINK I also found a couple questions about the cam, but no answers :(

What about a remote air filter/cold air intake?

I've seen the Weber remote air filter adapters. You could use one of those and some ingenuity (or money) to pull cold air from someplace that's relatively dry. (I'm thinking of something like the Piper-X Viper induction kit, below) I'm a little leary of the unprotected filters in the photos of the Weber conversions...

focus_viper.jpg

Have any of you hardcore 4x4 guys built a snorkel for an ea81 yet? :D

Take your cam to anyone that does cam regrinds, and tell them what you want. Generally they grind either for HP, or torque. So depending on what you want. If your are going off-road, then torque is what you want.

Weber makes a snorkel kit for the DGEV, so that's no problem at all. And yes - MANY people have added fording gear to their cars.

What do you mean "unprotected"? It's under the hood...... besides - they work fine, don't worry about it.

I doubt you would see much from a cold-air intake on the EA81. the Weber will give you more than you think.

GD

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

Take your cam to anyone that does cam regrinds, and tell them what you want. Generally they grind either for HP, or torque. So depending on what you want. If your are going off-road, then torque is what you want.

Thanks! :-)

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

What do you mean "unprotected"? It's under the hood...... besides - they work fine, don't worry about it.

I'm sure you are right--I've just become accustomed to my VW TDI Golf--the engine compartment is practically hermetically sealed ;) Belly pan, top cover, etc. etc. I ran a weber with the air filter that came with it on my old Datsun 510, and I charged a few puddles with that without any problems...

The snorkel kit is $129.99. The only problem is that it doesn't come with enough hose(14") to really do anything with. Besides you still need to buy a filter to go with it. I have looked at it a couple of times and each time I talk myself out of it.

The cam grinds are good but you will need carb and exhaust to go with it. What are you designing this for?

The engine compartment does provide some dry areas just the front of the engine isn't one of them. Some sort of protection is recommended for the air filter. I have built a snorkel system for my old offroader but have yet to do it on the Brat. Still refining the ideas.

Mine is mounted in the area originally used for the spare tire. My intake comes from the throttle body and snakes to the rear of the compartment. High and dry here.

Here is a pic, ignore the crap stacked next to the filter I had it laying there while I was doing some work.

radnair.JPG

Originally posted by Qman

The cam grinds are good but you will need carb and exhaust to go with it. What are you designing this for?

I'll mainly use it to do things I don't want to do in my VW TDI Golf or our minivan--exploring off the pavement, trailhead car, trips to the dump or home and garden store, etc. I'll see what it will do with the biggest tires I can cram under the hood and into the wheel wells (without cutting them). If that does not suffice for my purposes, then I'll think about a lift. I kind of want to maintain a stock "sleeper" appearance, except the tires...

It will also be a hobby project--something to tinker with. The more I read about the ea81, the more excited I get in this regard. I definitely plan to do a Weber and exhaust. I'll probably to the pistons and have the cam reground with a bias toward torque.

I've seen some "remote filter adapters" at a site linked to one of the Weber threads here. They were much cheaper than the Weber one, but you have to provide your own hose, etc.