Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Port Heads for EA-81?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rallywagon

Rallywagon

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Western NC

Posted 17 October 2003 - 03:15 PM

Hey All,

What are my least expensive options for dual port heads on my EA-81 when I rebuild?.....
....will turbo heads fit easily (w/custom intake)?
....aircraft heads are nice, but $$$$
....any other ideas?

Thanks for any input.

#2 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,267 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:31 PM

When you say turbo heads, I'm thinking that you are refering to the EA82 turbo heads, the EA81T's have a single intake port like the NA's. Then SUB4 heads are REALLY REALLY spendy, I looked into those also. What you could do, if you are pretty good at welding aluminum, is drill out ports into the "bubbles" in the head, the block off the single one, then make up a flange and weld it to the new holes in the head, then make up an intake to match, would be interesting to see, also would be pretty interesting getting to the spark plug. You'd also have to make up something to run the water lines for the thermo houseing and heater and the crossover.

#3 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 18 October 2003 - 09:16 AM

they have services for drilling and modifying our old EA81 single port heads to dual port, but it's around $1000 for both heads to be modified.

Sub4 heads are $450 a piece.

#4 StormTrooper

StormTrooper

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Humboldt County, CA

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:12 PM

Consider this:

Look up the RAM Performance Webpage, they have tons of EA81 airplane stuff...the guy sells kits for springs, lifters, valves etc...Order the relatively cheap spring/valve kit, that has the wider bore, then take the heads into a machine shaop, and have them bore the single port holes to match the valves...that will definatly give you a substantial gain W/o all the cost...

#5 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:31 PM

That's funny. I thought the Sub4 heads were well over $1000 for a pair. Anyways, $1000 for a pair of highly modified heads is really not that expensive. Many 4cyl performance heads are much more than that.

#6 Rallywagon

Rallywagon

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Western NC

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:46 PM

I thought that the EA-81T had dual port heads.....so it is either major mods on my own or aircraft product.

Thanks again.

#7 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,753 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 18 October 2003 - 05:25 PM

all EA81s are single port unless they have custom heads.

#8 Dante

Dante

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 20 October 2003 - 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Hondasucks
Sub4 heads are $450 a piece.

Where? Ram?

Do you know what they get for the SUB4 intake manifolds?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users