Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Read this on a craigslist ad today:

"Front seat belts need replacement (replace belt tabs are exposed) however (I believe) they can be replaced through a Subaru dealer because they are under a 15 yr manufactor's warranty."

Anybody know if this could indeed be a free dealer replacement?

Read this on a craigslist ad today:

"Front seat belts need replacement (replace belt tabs are exposed) however (I believe) they can be replaced through a Subaru dealer because they are under a 15 yr manufactor's warranty."

Does anybody know if this could indeed be a free dealer replacement?

Our front belts got eaten where they go through the guide near the door.

Has anyone else had this problem?

15 year warranty? i dont think thats true

There is no such federal US mandate that i have seen on that so i doubt it exists. The only time you replace belts is when the car has been in a collision and those tabs show.

Thats another way to see if the car has ever been hit. Shops dont replace seatbelts all the time. The tab usually means the belts have been over stretched.

nipper

Our front belts got eaten where they go through the guide near the door.

Has anyone else had this problem?

i would open up those panels and see where the water leak is. Mildew and moisture will eat up belts.

nipper

My 95 Legacy drivers seat belt has been starting to pull apart over the last year or 2. My mechanic told me that I really need to replace. (as I am going to do shortly)

This thread brings up an interesting point. Check out the Subaru.com website. Limited Lifetime warranty on the seat belts. Wondering if this is something new or whether my 95 might be covered as well??

http://www.subaru.com/owners/warranty/index.jsp

wonder if this covers my belt not retracting all the time

nipper

Boy, wouldn't that be nice.

However, here's the specific item:

Seat Belt Lifetime Limited Warranty

SEAT BELT COVERAGE lasts for the useful life of the vehicle and includes seat belts and related components which fail to function properly during normal use. This warranty does not apply to cosmetic appearance, such as color fading, when the seat belts function properly. Coverage also excludes any electrical related components or body anchor points.

Now I want to know what is considered the useful life of the vehicle.

i would open up those panels and see where the water leak is. Mildew and moisture will eat up belts.

nipper

It is never wet. It just is very frayed. The warrenty page does not seem to apply to the seat belts for a 1998. It is very odd.