Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bad idel problem

This is an 83 gl wagon with a carbed ea81. I bought the car and it ideled a little high(1500 or so) i needed to pass emissions so i went to turn the idel down. When i did that the car would die when i would let the idel below 1200rpms or so. So i turned the idel back up so that it wouldnt die. Now when ever i start the car it idels at 3000rpms and then when i warms up it dies when you are off the gas. I think the high idel when you start is some kind of choke problem. The guy i bought it from said he thought there was a vacume leak so i am going to start replacing hoses. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreicated.

Thanks David

hello and welcome to the board. Well from the sounds of it, it could either be your acellerator pump which is located in the carb or it could be a vacuum leak. I had an 83 hatchback that was carbed and it had the same problem. I took my time and cleaned the carb really good and cleaned out the acellerator pump too. If its the 1-barrel Carter-Weber carb *cough* crappy *cough* there is also a little itty bitty tube that runs from the acellerator pump to the barrel. Mine had a hole in it so it would not get enough fuel and start crapping out on me. If your tube has a hole in it, I have some that I can get you for 50 cents per piece. Also, there is are lots of board members who live in your neck of the woods. I know Edrach lives in Woodinville too and he's a very nice guy to get ahold of when you're having problems. Anyways, I hope this helps and welcome again to the board!:headbang:

• 2 weeks later...