Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hydraulic lifters Q

From what I understand, they get noisy as they get old, worn, and lose ability to maintain oil pressure. Tap tap tap tap...

Ooops. I should clarify. My engine is apart and the heads are being remilled. How can you tell they are bad when inspecting them while outside the engine?

Hey Frog This is Jerry, to clean the pistons get a bucket of carb cleaner. Drop one in the carb cleaner for about an hour or 2 then wash with warm water wow just like new. Your lifters also drop them into the carb cleaner wash with warm water then dry them off then drop them in clean engine oil. Thamks Jerry

Ooops. I should clarify. My engine is apart and the heads are being remilled. How can you tell they are bad when inspecting them while outside the engine?

How noisy was the engine before you took the heads off? ( valves )

Don't know how cheap lifters are, but if they weren't too bad and I was planning on keeping the car for the long haul and had the heads off anyway, might just be the time to replace. Again, I might think different if they were pricey.

Matt

How noisy was the engine before you took the heads off? ( valves )

Don't know how cheap lifters are, but if they weren't too bad and I was planning on keeping the car for the long haul and had the heads off anyway, might just be the time to replace. Again, I might think different if they were pricey.

Matt

IIRC, someone found them (aftermarket) for $40'ish each.... that's about $160 for a complete set - I think they are considerably more from the dealer.

GD

O.K. I got a Sugestion here:

My Loyale EA82 bacame Too Noisy some years Ago, it was the Hydraulic Lifters... BUT there was only one face of the coin...

...The back face of the Coin was this fact: Hydraulic Lifters becomes Noisy Due to Underpressure of the Oil! :eek: I Learned it by the Hardest Way...

I know that they became Old and the wear plus dirty oily residues can make ´em noisy, but I sugest this: Change the Oil Pump, or only the Center of it (It´s main Gears). The Dealer has them, and here they cost me just about $ 16.ºº It´s Called "Oil Pump Kit" or Somethin´ Like That.

Also if you can "Clean" the Lifters, Do It Now. If they where into the engine, pour the entire contents of a "Motor Flush" in the old oil before the oil change, and before the Oil Pump Change... It did fix my EA82 very well, it didn´t makes any lifter sounds since that, almost five years and countin´...

I hope it can help ya!

Good Luck...

If you have questions about your lifters check these guys out http://www.mizpahprecision.com/pricing.htm

They remanufacture the lifters...like $5.20 a piece without core and $4.50 if you send them your core. They told me that it would take shipping plus 1 or 2 days to get them back. But I never bought any from them because my Tick of DEATH was cured by an oil pump reseal.

yes the o-ring trick does work. I've never had a lifter go bad on any of the EA motors I've worked on. It is always the oil pump seals, or the oil pump itself. My engine ticked horrible for 2 years, I replaced the seals twice and that didnt fix it. Bought a new oil pump, problem solved. I get 65 PSI at crusing speed down the highway and about 80 at start up and 35 at idle.