Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hydraulic lifters Q

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

How can you tell if they are bad??? What is the best way to clean deposits off the piston face???

#2 mbrickell

mbrickell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

How can you tell if they are bad??? What is the best way to clean deposits off the piston face???

From what I understand, they get noisy as they get old, worn, and lose ability to maintain oil pressure. Tap tap tap tap...

#3 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

From what I understand, they get noisy as they get old, worn, and lose ability to maintain oil pressure. Tap tap tap tap...

Ooops. I should clarify. My engine is apart and the heads are being remilled. How can you tell they are bad when inspecting them while outside the engine?

#4 bratsrus1

bratsrus1

Race car

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Selah Washington

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:42 PM

Hey Frog This is Jerry, to clean the pistons get a bucket of carb cleaner. Drop one in the carb cleaner for about an hour or 2 then wash with warm water wow just like new. Your lifters also drop them into the carb cleaner wash with warm water then dry them off then drop them in clean engine oil. Thamks Jerry

#5 mbrickell

mbrickell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:29 PM

Ooops. I should clarify. My engine is apart and the heads are being remilled. How can you tell they are bad when inspecting them while outside the engine?

How noisy was the engine before you took the heads off? ( valves )

Don't know how cheap lifters are, but if they weren't too bad and I was planning on keeping the car for the long haul and had the heads off anyway, might just be the time to replace. Again, I might think different if they were pricey.

Matt

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,279 posts
  • Portland

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:45 PM

How noisy was the engine before you took the heads off? ( valves )

Don't know how cheap lifters are, but if they weren't too bad and I was planning on keeping the car for the long haul and had the heads off anyway, might just be the time to replace. Again, I might think different if they were pricey.

Matt

IIRC, someone found them (aftermarket) for $40'ish each.... that's about $160 for a complete set - I think they are considerably more from the dealer.

GD

#7 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,386 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

O.K. I got a Sugestion here:

My Loyale EA82 bacame Too Noisy some years Ago, it was the Hydraulic Lifters... BUT there was only one face of the coin...

...The back face of the Coin was this fact: Hydraulic Lifters becomes Noisy Due to Underpressure of the Oil! :eek: I Learned it by the Hardest Way...

I know that they became Old and the wear plus dirty oily residues can make ´em noisy, but I sugest this: Change the Oil Pump, or only the Center of it (It´s main Gears). The Dealer has them, and here they cost me just about $ 16.ºº It´s Called "Oil Pump Kit" or Somethin´ Like That.

Also if you can "Clean" the Lifters, Do It Now. If they where into the engine, pour the entire contents of a "Motor Flush" in the old oil before the oil change, and before the Oil Pump Change... It did fix my EA82 very well, it didn´t makes any lifter sounds since that, almost five years and countin´...

I hope it can help ya!
Good Luck...

#8 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:07 AM

If you have questions about your lifters check these guys out http://www.mizpahpre...com/pricing.htm
They remanufacture the lifters...like $5.20 a piece without core and $4.50 if you send them your core. They told me that it would take shipping plus 1 or 2 days to get them back. But I never bought any from them because my Tick of DEATH was cured by an oil pump reseal.

#9 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:37 AM

yes the o-ring trick does work. I've never had a lifter go bad on any of the EA motors I've worked on. It is always the oil pump seals, or the oil pump itself. My engine ticked horrible for 2 years, I replaced the seals twice and that didnt fix it. Bought a new oil pump, problem solved. I get 65 PSI at crusing speed down the highway and about 80 at start up and 35 at idle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users