Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CB Radio

Jamminpotato

how many USMB'ers have CB radios on their subies?

I just got one for myne, installed it today and will take pics as soon as i get a chance.

oh i drive a 1996 outback.

I have one ready to install into the Brat, needs to be wired in though.

I have one, I think its higher power then legal without a licence here, but :rolleyes:

It's all wired in, but I can't get anyone one (that sounds english) on the other end. I've heard some aliens and what sounded like japs, but... hrmm. I guess I'll need to sort it out one day, would be good to have it working.

I think its a 10W one? but don't really know a whole lot about it.

I've got a couple of Midlands, one I had in my civic and another for my soob but don't really know where to mount it. I don't want it on the dash like alot seem to do with velcro. Also have a top of the line portable that's almost as good as the cheapo cb's for cars that I used when I was a Flagger. ~~Lucas

i got one in my 95 awd legacy its mounted on top of my aftermarket tape player it a, realistic and my brother got one in his 91 legacy buts its just a wal mart cheapo

whats do you guys have for antenna's i just got a walmart one that sticks on the window any one with a supper long antenna

speaking of antennas, does anybody know of a good antenna for around 50 bucks? not nessicarily a wip, i already have a mount out by the hood for a 3/8?ish antenna(firestick). is there any that would fit that? i have heard, that the anntenna is more important than the radio in some cases..

i have a wilson fiberglass antenna i got from radioshack, it was 20bucks i think about 5 feet tall, i was tempted to get the 8 foot aerial whip, but just went with the 4-5foot fiberglass one, plus its got an easy tuning rod thing, for tuning it. basicalyl i just losen a screw and adjust the length that this rod sticks out and then tighten the screw again.

I have one for everything I drive, and the house, and several spares too!

alll of them modified for more power and modulation. the legal power limit for a cb radio is 4 watts, there is no licence for cb that will let you legaly have more. most of mine are doing 15-30 watts. I run 400 watts at home.

As for antenas, biger is usualy better but some small ones are almost as good as the really big ones. the best around are francis fiberglass antenas, they come in severall sizes from 2 to 8 feet. the 3 foot model is prety good for most people, you wont notice a whole lot of diference between that and an 8 footer and they dont cost alot either, I think a 3 footer is about $15 and an 8 is $20 at most stores that carry them.they have no tuning adjustment but are guranteed to have an swr or 1.5:1 or less.

i went out to radio shack, got the cheapest CB they had (40 bucks), got myself a 5' fiberglass wound antenna, and a spring, bolted that puppy to my rack rail.. and away i went, it works great, never had a problem with any of mysetup. :headbang:

can't seem to find anypics that are online right now.. but i tucked the radio right under the stock radio..

edit: found the pics

In the car:

cbindash.jpg

on the roof:

mout1.jpg

i also made a 2nd mount for my thule bars (not seen here) for those large loads on the roof that don't allow the CB to be placed in that position..

Pawnshop Pawnshop Pawnshop

I picked up a complete system for $30 radio and antnna etc

they have radios for 15-20 each,

i had a 9' fiberglass wip on my first soob, knocked it off on a tree , its great for the dunes use it for the flag,

my current car has a 30" total length steel up close to the winshield this baby wont be knocked off by a tree:cool: :eek:

i went out to radio shack, got the cheapest CB they had (40 bucks), got myself a 5' fiberglass wound antenna, and a spring, bolted that puppy to my rack rail.. and away i went, it works great, never had a problem with any of mysetup. :headbang:

can't seem to find anypics that are online right now.. but i tucked the radio right under the stock radio..

edit: found the pics

In the car:

cbindash.jpg

I really like this idea...since I don't have a stereo in my soob, I think I'm going to put my cb in that slot....thanks for the great idea.:brow: ~~Lucas

• 2 years later...

hate to bring back old threads from the dead but couldn't see starting a new one for simple question...

are there antennas out there that are factory tuned and don't require adjustment?? and still give you good swr numbers..

thing is i don't have anything against them,it's just that i'd have to buy a swr meter to do the tuning and can't see spending the extra $$ if i don't have to.(trying to work with a small budget)

i already have a cheap cobra radio that i finally put back in the car..

cb_radio.jpg

along with a cheap walmart antenna(that's tunable)

cheap_walmart_antenna.jpg

i realy wanted something taller.(just doesn't seem like i have enough reach..)