Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CB Radio

Jamminpotato

and don't require adjustment?? and still give you good swr numbers..

i realy wanted something taller.(just doesn't seem like i have enough reach..)

Ive never tuned any of my entennas , I had a Ham guy set up the wire for me and he told me not to shorten it as it would effect the reception,the longer the antenna the better reception I have found, I have a antenna as you do on one of our cars and its the worst one Ive used, I like the 4-5' stick I have on the other car, SJR

now why didn't i think of that! (no need to answer that :)) those places gotta be crawling with them! prolly very cheap too since they aren't terribly expensive to begin with. :banana:

And pawn shops are in season now :)

i have a hand held cobra unit which works very well, and never had an antenna tuned in.

nipper

I run a Uniden PC68XL with Mosfet ERF2030 final and a Astatic power mic into a Tram "Super Penetrator" magmount antenna in the middle of the roof of my Brat... I'm talking 35+ miles on that setup without an external amp.

In regards to an SWR meter, Rat Shack (Radioshack) has a reasonable one for under $20 usually. Works just fine for an SWR tune... Otherwise scout around fleamarkets and garage sales.

I have a 102" whip...but I need to install it one of these years...

got one of those last week..mounted it with ball mount on rear pass side.(still need to run coax to it though and gotta get pics)

didn't realize how tall it'd be..towers over the roof (leans inward)

as a side note..always make sure ball mount is tight,other wise you'll be dragging the tip.(found out on the highway that this can happen.slight flat part on the tip of it now):rolleyes:

*edited to add pic of mounting*

shiney_new_ball_mount.jpg

inside_shot_of_ball_mounting_edited.JPG

circled in red is where i'm supposed to attach the "copper part of the antenna cable" and circled in blue is where i'm supposed to attach some other part of the antenna cable..(can't remember what part)

has anyone else had to connect to their antenna this way?

A friend gave me a Realistic VHF FM Transceiver, model HTX-202. It came with an antenna for the car, and coax, and two antennas that are for just walking around. I know it is a HAM unit and I will need to get a license but, it was a free radio, and it sounds better and talks farther that a standard CB. The same friend gave me a CB too. I think it is the same model that CobCob put in his Brat, and I might end up with it in there too.

I am currently looking into getting a portable handheld Ham unit. Haven't had a CB in over 20 years.

Currently my subie only has a ham radio. Though it needs a CB as well (the loggers use the CB to let you know when they're barreling down a one and a half lane road towards you at 40mph......). The advantage of the ham radio is the wattage -- 65 watts on high power. I can do simplex for over 50 miles, and can often hit repeaters even in narrow canyons where it's hard to get reception on anything else. For an antenna, I've got a magnet mount 5 foot whip in the center of the roof -- if I run into anything (parking garages usually) it just pops off, no damage.

I run a Uniden PC68XL with Mosfet ERF2030 final and a Astatic power mic into a Tram "Super Penetrator" magmount antenna in the middle of the roof of my Brat... I'm talking 35+ miles on that setup without an external amp.

In regards to an SWR meter, Rat Shack (Radioshack) has a reasonable one for under $20 usually. Works just fine for an SWR tune... Otherwise scout around fleamarkets and garage sales.

how many Watts on that CB??

how many Watts on that CB??

Why the legal 4 Watts of course!!:grin:

I've seen it do over 60 when it's got 19v running into it... Conservative estimate on an standard car battery input is probably in the 35w-45w range...

I also have the pre-driver volted when modulating so that helps to heat things a little

• 3 weeks later...

OK, minor change of plan. I ended up taking the test to get my tech license. I passed. A friend gave me a 5w walkie talkie, and I really like it. I plan to go with a full HAM set up in the Wagon because it works better and has a lot more range. I just have to save more money since HAM stuff is a little more expensive.

• 3 months later...

CBs are part of the required equipment for my work... have Cobra 29 NW LTDs in both...

Subi 2 - Cobra 29 LTD WX NW ST peaked and tuned with Galaxy finals, and a Wilson 5000 mounted on the rear just behind the crossmember of the roof rack.

Subi 3 - Cobra 29 LTD NW ST (no WX 'cos I can't hear the CB during a weather alert) peaked and tuned by Clay's Radio Shop from TX with a noise filter and a green light for the meter. Wilson 1000 with the loaded whip (shipping on the long whip is as much as the whole damn antenna) mounted same location as above.

I'll take some pics as I have each mounted differently.

I use Turner Roadking RK 56 mics for each.