Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was thinking of some ways to give my very slow 1993 1.8L impreza some kick. and i was thinking of an intake but i dont know what kind to get and what would fit it, so if any one has any suggestions that would be great, and also if anyone knows of anything else i can do to give it some more kick please tell me.

A 2.2 liter block will bolt right in and your intake manifold will bolt right up to it. That will add kick, and the 2.2l are available everywhere in junkyards for probably 150 bucks. Just pull one out of an old legacy.

Is your car an auto or a manual?

If it's a manual, what are your shiftpoints?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50391&page=2&highlight=austin+2%2F2

give me a little time.....

ther we go, found it.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51682&highlight=austin+2.2

Looks doable.

part of your problem is the auto tranny, but that takes more effort to swap

The 2.2 should move the car better than the 1.8

I like the bigger engine idea.

The EJ18 in your car will be hard to tune. You'll need custom grinding of the camshafts to make a real improvement. That'll cost a bit. Then you need a custom ECU program to make it work.

EJ22 is the way forward :D

if i were to get the EJ22 engine to do the swap what would be the best model and year to look for to make the swap go easiest or doesn't it matter? also i just noticed when i open my gas cap air like rushes out, kinda like when u open a pop can, it sounds like it gets vaccumed or something? is that normal?

Always happens to me if it's getting low and/or it's warm out.

if i were to get the EJ22 engine to do the swap what would be the best model and year to look for to make the swap go easiest or doesn't it matter? also i just noticed when i open my gas cap air like rushes out, kinda like when u open a pop can, it sounds like it gets vaccumed or something? is that normal?

If you're gonna swap - why not the 2.0 turbo?

As far as improvements for NA engines - yeah , other that internal stuff, maybe lighter wheels, lighter flywheel (probably not less tha 11 lbs. though - some report of CELs with very light FWs) lightened (not underdriven) pulleys.

The above will not 'create' horsepower - but will remove losses and free up some ponies for the tires!

Then spend money on suspension bits. Don't make a dragster outta it - go for autocross if you wanna race.

Carl

The reason to swap to a 2.2 is the easyness of it. Puting a 2.0 turbo in means wiring, new crossmember, new exhaust, big PITA. Throwing in a 2.2 will gain torque and power and make the car feel peppy enough, for short money and time. True, tuning the 1.8 is kinda pointless. N/A engine's can be improved on, so if you want to start tuning an engine, you might as well start with a larger displacement one.

It's easy, it's available, and it's cheap. You will spend less on the engine swap than you would on tires.