Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help for a 99 Outback hatch door rattle

First of all, check to make sure of the source of the rattle. I once solved my cousin's similar complaint by removing a ton of crap from his spare tire well (towing hitch, loose screwdrivers etc).

Now, excercising great care for life and limb, remove the interior cover from the rear hatch and have someone ride in the rear while you recreate the noise driving over bumps.

Unless the door bumpers are gone and the door itself is rattling, the locking and opening linkage may be the culprit.

Harmonic rattle at idle sounds to me like it may be from loose heat shields on exhaust.

Unless you are right on top of the rattle, you won't be sure of where it comes from exactly. I had traced a similar rear rattle to the retractable cargo cover, only to find that it was the ceiling retractable shoulder belt for the centre passenger being incorrectly stowed. I agree with the similar post, to actually ride in the back over a rough road, in order to locate the problem. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...