Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Legacy Door Lock Probs (PICS!)

Hello all,

I'm usually posting in the Older Generation forum because I own an 85 Loyale with an EA82 in it, but I recently bought a 1990 Legacy L Wagon for only $450.

It has some problems though. Cracked windshield, missing running light, etc. The driver's side door will also not accept the key for the doors, so I must open it from the passenger's side door. I imagine I'll have to replace that somehow.

But there is one extremely annoying problem. ALL the doors lock (the switch flips) when you open the door from the INSIDE. Here look:

LockOne.JPG

Lock is open and I am about to open from inside.

LockTwo.JPG

I open latch and lock closes in mechanical concert.

I'm not sure why the locks do this, but this is happening with ALL FOUR doors. I think it might have something to do with this button on the driver's side door:

Buttons.JPG

The square button at the top that says 'lock'.

When I push this button up and down it does nothing. It seems to be broken. What was its mysterious original use? Perhaps it is what causes the doors to lock automatically on the inside? I do not know. But I do want to fix this problem, and if I have to rip out the panel walls on all the doors to do it I will.

But if I'm lucky someone here will recognize this problem and tell me a better course of action. So how bout it my fellow Subaru drivers? Recognize this problem? My utmost gratitude to anyone who has a clue for me!

Not sure how to solve your problems but the button is the lock button for the power windows. Press it down and the controls for the other windows in the car no longer work. Have the button in the up position and they work normally. Had a friend pull the doors apart trying to figure out why his window switches didn't work, came over to give him a hand and pressed the button on the door, problem solved. People without kids forget about this button because they never use it.

Ahh thank you, that answers at least one question. I guess the problem with the doors must be mechanical or something then. But its so strange that all 4 doors are affected. I wonder if this is a common problem on older Legacys? If not then perhaps the problem has to do with the electric locking system. The driver's side door lock sometimes sticks in the 'locked' position, and you can't put it into the unlocked position, but when you pull the lever the door pops open despite it being in the locked position...ach. I will have to get the Haynes manual for this vehicle soon. Perhaps it says something about this locking problem.

Yes it is a common problem . you have to replace thr inner door handle asembly . What happens is there is a plastic tag that breaks off for the return spring for the inner handle lever (chrome) . It is now resting on the lock button , so when you try to open the door the spring pushes the button to the lock position

Hope that helps

SEA#3

DM

I agree with you

It was hard to get my minds eye to see what he was describing.

But

When I got the latch (or lock remote as he calls it) on the bench, I saw just what he was talking about. I printed the article for reference.

If you want, I have spare lock remotes now.

I will gladly take some close up photos of the repair for you.

Getting the plastic surround around the latch off was interesting.

Just to add.

I used gary's info back in 98 or so to fix my locks. I just used a paper clip to hook the spring.

Getting the plastic piece off around the door handle can be tricky. There are two clips at the pivot point of the lock button. Detach those, and then push the entire plastic piece towards the front of the door. That will unhook the last clip in the front.