Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 95 legacy awd 5speed with 2.2 . ever since i got the car the 2nd somtimes grinded , and i would double clutch it would fine ,i went wheelin with it a couple friends in some snow in when i was going up a hill that was all snow and went to throw it in 2nd when boom! no 2nd gear at all the other gears work fine just no 2nd gear .how long can i drive with no 2nd gear or did i blow 2nd gear i pieces that are floating around in the tranny. iam going to wait till this weekend to put a junkyard tranny in would it ok to drive it for a few days

"Boom" ???

If the selector will move into position, but there is no drive, that means somehow the actuall cogs have been damaged. Driving with chunks of cogwheels inside the tranny is dangerous, they could get in the way and cause wheel lock-up, leading to an uncontrolled skid.

If the selector isn't moving into the 2nd gear postion, then the synchro rings are toasted and you can probably drive on without big risks.

It would be advisable to drain the oil and have a look at what comes out!