Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

What else can I take off a parts car?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_unix_*

Guest_unix_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:54 AM

'92 Loyale SW.
Thus far I got:

EA82 (of course)
Alternator
distributor
starter
AC compressor (might just keep it, not install it)
Speedo
All the nuts and bolts I got in the process of engine removal.
One full size wheel substituting the spare
Exhaust - the entire thing from exhaust flanges to the muffler, including the catalytic converter

I can't keep this car for some future repairs I need to remove as much as possible now.

What about gas shocks, do I need those? My car has 180K miles on it, the parts car only 90K.

#2 Guest_Wagon Wagon_*

Guest_Wagon Wagon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:14 AM

You can always do what Paul (moosens) did, and chop the whole car into 3 foot long, 1 foot thick sections and hang it on your garage walls. :rollin:

If you have the storage space I'd say pull everything removable off that car. You never know what you'll need. And if you need cash sometime, you could probably sell some of it.

#3 Guest_toybuilder_*

Guest_toybuilder_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:20 AM

Get the fuel pump.

Also get the ECU and all the relays that are near it.

#4 Guest_calebz_*

Guest_calebz_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:34 AM

Ballast resistor for the HVAC fan

#5 Guest_unix_*

Guest_unix_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:40 PM

Problem is, I don't have the storage space. I cannot store anything other than alternator-sized parts. I have to get rid of the rest of it. The rest is available - the interior and the transfer case, tranny (not shifting out of 1st), and so on.

I can part it out or sell it whole. It is in Virginia. (see my post in Market place)

#6 Guest_GlCraigGT_*

Guest_GlCraigGT_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:46 PM

get the axles, if you don't have room, make room or hang them from the rafters.

Also get the brake calipers, rotors and hubs

#7 Guest_unix_*

Guest_unix_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:08 PM

I have 180K on these axles, when should I expect them to wear out?

Is it hard to remove the rotors? The ones I have need to be turned and the garage said it is easier to turn them on the car without "disassembling the front end".

By hubs, you mean the wheels? Why would I have any use for them?

What about the ball joints?

#8 Guest_Struculeus_*

Guest_Struculeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:41 PM

I would also take off the side mirrors, headlight casings, and radio, if they're salvagable. You can sell them for a bit o' dough on E-Bay.
J

#9 Guest_unix_*

Guest_unix_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:44 PM

Ebay is a good idea, I think I will put the whole thing on there.

My post in Marketplace

#10 Guest_WagonsOnly_*

Guest_WagonsOnly_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2003 - 12:07 AM

Don't forget tail lights, side markers, exterior trim and roof rack if there is one. And try to save the carpeting, turn-signal stalk and door handles/window cranks if they're not too badly sun damaged.

I wouldn't bother with the axles if they're original at 180k unless the car was driven very gently.

Just my .02,

Andrew

#11 Guest_unix_*

Guest_unix_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:35 AM

My Loyale has 180K on the axles. The donor car I am taking stuff off has 93K miles.

#12 Guest_Snowman_*

Guest_Snowman_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2003 - 08:06 PM

Definitely get the axles if they look good. If you want to make some money, grab any trim pieces interior or exterior that are in good shape and sell them.

#13 Guest_unix_*

Guest_unix_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2003 - 09:37 AM

The axles look good. But if I remove the axles, how will the car get towed? It wouldn't have any parts pertaining to wheels? Would a junk yard even want it? Or could I sell it for scrap metal?

What about the transfer case? Does that ever wear out? I don't think it is compatible with mine because mine is 2WD and this one is 4WD.

#14 Guest_86 subaru_*

Guest_86 subaru_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2003 - 01:10 PM

one more small thing get the clock , floor mats, sunvisors, inside door arms, dash switches,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users