Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1600 engine fan!

first of all.. it's too small, granted it's a small engine, but still, it's tiny. Anyway, the problem I have is it doesnt want to turn on. Does the engine have to get REALLY hot in order for it to turn on? or is it suppose to be running all the time or once it's at "running temperature"?

Mine doesnt seem to turn on at all. After warming up the car it wasnt on.. got it hotter than normal op. temp. and it still wasnt on. It's getting power to it because it was checked, and supposedly the fan itself works because it was taken to schucks and they hooked it up to a battery and it supposedly spun(though I didnt see it) so I just dont know what it could be now. Any ideas?

Also, if I get a new fan is there a brand or type of fan that would fit better than others? work better than others? should and shouldnt be used? any and all information would be great! thanks!

ev0014

If the fan is getting power all the time, it's probably "ground side switched", meaning it's grounded through the fan switch. The engine usually does get hotter than normal before the fan turns on. Sometimes they don't turn on until it reaches 230 degrees F.

a simple way to check the fan is to take the lead off the fan and ground it to the body or right to the battery...

the lead i'm talking about is on the bottom of the fan housing on the side closest to the battery... there is a little block with a wire on it... disconnect it(it should be a little plug) and ground it... if it turns on then you're original ground is bad, the thermal switch is ruined, or the fan is just plain bad...

anyway... if you want to replace it just go to any junk yard and yank one off pretty much any car as long as it fits... take the old one with you to compare... heck get two and have dual fans...:)

ok, I'll check it out when I get the time(next weekend probably) I'm very excited that she's runnin like a top now! (tubes were so clogged with gunk you couldnt see through them at all) cleaned those out and the PCV valve and viola! new car! well kind of haha... except now the fan seems to have gone out, and there's no sense in driving it if it doesnt cool down as efficiently. I like the dual fan idea! seems to me it needs to havea bigger fan(s) anyway:P I love this subaru!!

I'm I reading this right...? If you take the wire off the thermal switch. Using the battery, ground the wire out. If the fan turns on then the switch or ground is bad?

If that the case I must have a bad switch. Cuz my fan turns on!

a simple way to check the fan is to take the lead off the fan and ground it to the body or right to the battery...

the lead i'm talking about is on the bottom of the fan housing on the side closest to the battery... there is a little block with a wire on it... disconnect it(it should be a little plug) and ground it... if it turns on then you're original ground is bad, the thermal switch is ruined, or the fan is just plain bad...

anyway... if you want to replace it just go to any junk yard and yank one off pretty much any car as long as it fits... take the old one with you to compare... heck get two and have dual fans...:)

captainkettel

I'm I reading this right...? If you take the wire off the thermal switch. Using the battery, ground the wire out. If the fan turns on then the switch or ground is bad?

If that the case I must have a bad switch. Cuz my fan turns on!

no your switch should be ok but its the ground that is bad... look at the wire you grounded... is it corroded and nasty? clean that all up and plug it back on... if the fan works like normal again then its fixed.. if it doesn't work still then i'd say the switch is gone... i saw some on ebay for cheap... just do a search and you'll find em...

no your switch should be ok but its the ground that is bad... look at the wire you grounded... is it corroded and nasty? clean that all up and plug it back on... if the fan works like normal again then its fixed.. if it doesn't work still then i'd say the switch is gone... i saw some on ebay for cheap... just do a search and you'll find em...

Unplug the switch. Jump the two wires in the connector. The fan should turn on. If not, the ground connection is faulty. If the fan turns on, the switch may be inop.

• 2 weeks later...