Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is this thing? Early EA82 MPFI "Leone"

The steering Linkage is on the wrong side to be Australian. Canada is a possibility but how any Mid 80's cars sold in Canada have AC? It might have made the way up from Mexico.

Hmm, I didn't catch that until you mentioned it. Yeah, I've seen a surprising number of wierd Mexican-tagged cars from time to time passing through on the highway here in Kansas City. Very possible. A/C would be a rarity in Canada from that era but possible. Maybe the Middle East...

Yeah - it is Left hand drive, so probably not AUS, or JDM. I thought perhaps from Mexico or Canada. I really don't know though.

It is 2WD, so that part is normal. The weird thing is the badge says Leone on one side, and Subaru on the other. I don't think it's been modified.

It does have GL-10 badgeing on the rear gate if that helps. I'll try to get more pictures soon. It's in decent shape - I was considering maybe converting it to 4WD.... kind of a neat engine - spec page says 94 HP stock. More than the SPFI at least. It has good tags, and is titled in Oregon, so it's legal here.

Oh - build date on the jam is 01/85

GD

i had a 86 turbo GL-10 2wd back in the day... non trubo mpfi is more of a rarity fo sure..

i would lean towards it being south america market vehicle.

I dont think we ever got anything in the U.S. with leone badging

or did we? subaru has done some strange things before...:banana:

rllywgn

All 2WD nonturbo 85 GL-10's were MPFI, so that solves that.

As for the Leone badge... maybe it was wrecked in early 1985, and the rebuilder couldn't find a door in the US, and had to order one from Japan... and didn't change the molding?

All 2WD nonturbo 85 GL-10's were MPFI, so that solves that.

As for the Leone badge... maybe it was wrecked in early 1985, and the rebuilder couldn't find a door in the US, and had to order one from Japan... and didn't change the molding?

But if you order a door panel (new), they come primered with no molding ;)

All paint is original as far as I could tell.

GD

... the Mexico connection seems a better possibility.

Sorry Friend: In Mexico There are NO Subarus at All. Let me Explain it:

Mexican laws only allows to be marketed there, Mexican Made or Assemblied Cars. Not Imported at All, except for pieces or Special purposses vehicles.

So there aren´t seen many car brands, as in the other countries, even there aren´t toyotas (Now they´re tryin´ to get there too) and other popular car brands. To get there, Honda, BMW, SEAT, etc... had to put there a Assembly Factories or somethin´ like that. for example, Susuki sells their line there, with the "Chevrolet" name, and the Daewoo brand is under the "Dodge" name...

...I went Mexico about two months ago...

Also; we at Honduras got many Loyales that says: "LEONE" on the backdoor, we see it normal, because in the USA carmakers change the model names, here comes as it gets in Japan. Also in the rest of LatinAmerica.

For Example: in USA Toyota Echo, here came as Yaris; also we Got Hyundai and Toyota with the same name: "Matrix", we got a Hyundai "SVX" minivan, etc... Many many rarities...

In Brasil there are a Ford with Chrisler name as a model, it depends on the patent registry... it was long time ago.

So, maybe this was a Latin American Model... But NOT from Mexico...

Hope this will help to illustrate you... Bye!

:)

I'm guessing a factory goof you said other door has the standard subaru on the trim right? i'd guess they ran out of the correct trim piece and through on the leone one instead and the car is just a standard usdm one. just a guess though