Ultimate Subaru Message Board

started workin my bumper...**UPDATED:almost done and more pics**

scrap487

well.. I would have had a lot more of it done, provided I had a drill press. I didnt really think about that untill I got the old bumper off, and then I realized so I had to take the old bumper mounts, getting those off took well over an hour. cut them up, welded the bar, and then it got too late and I didnt want to wake the neighbors. man, welding small guage metal with 1/8" E6011 stick is a pain in the BUTT... but I got it done. on thursday I'll finish putting my bumper together, and on friday I'll make better mounts. also another PITA was dealing with the motor for the 3rd eye, I couldnt get the peice of metal up higher or closer in to the body like I wanted to cause of it.

I plan on fixing that later too.

bumper.JPG

this is sort of what I plan on: (red are lights)

plan.JPG

er actually after thinking about it... I dont think I'll need or want the roof light bar... lol. inways the bull bar part of it will be at a slant forward, and the whole thing will sit about 2" higher and much closer to the body when I am done with it, I just need to figure out how to move the motor for the third eye

Yeah don't worry about the light bar and mount another light on the hood.

I would mount the braces for the stinger so they angle outward going down to the main bar, vs. angling down to the center. Maybe have them meet the main bar at the same point as the frame mounts. It would be stronger in an endo or rollover.

Also the light at the top of the stringer could be mounted underneath the tube instead of on top. This would protect them better and move them more out of your line of site.

Yeah don't worry about the light bar and mount another light on the hood.

that light is going to be one of those spot lights that are controlable from inside the cab... they're expensive for good ones

I would mount the braces for the stinger so they angle outward going down to the main bar, vs. angling down to the center. Maybe have them meet the main bar at the same point as the frame mounts. It would be stronger in an endo or rollover.

yeah... I'm thinking more and more about how I could beef up the mounts for this bumper though, seems like 4 bolts would be the week link if I make it too much heavier or stronger. the whole thing is gonna be made out of .188"(3/16") 2"x2" square tubing. I think I'm going to cut some channel to run along the length of the skid plate and bolt to the engine cross member and have that come out and up at the angle of the stinger, and then brace back towards the bumper mounts, and then some straight down to the middle of the bumper.

Also the light at the top of the stringer could be mounted underneath the tube instead of on top. This would protect them better and move them more out of your line of site.

but it would also block the 3rd eye. I'll get some rectangular lights to fit between the bumper, or possibly figure out a way to mount some lights down on the control arms :brow:

...ok, I'm running out of fingers.

So I count 13 headlights?:eek: What are you going to light up?:confused:

I'm thinking there's way too many lights here:clap:

I have just over 600w shining forward on Summer and I'm worried about my alternater?:-\

well not quite like I was thinking of, but I like it better. I have a lot left to do, plan on droping another bar down 4" below the back peice for a skidplate to attach too, and also so I can get some nice fog lights lower to the ground, and then I'm gonna cover up all the holes and stuff with some kinda plate or sheetmetal, sand blast it and then send it off to get powder coated. it also looks a lot better in the day with natural light... my camera doesnt do it justice.

P3100377.JPG

P3100380.JPG

P3100381.JPG

Man that looks badass! :clap:

I wish I had both the skill and the equipment to do welding. I would fabricate my own bumpers and such. As is, I suppose I'll just order my bumper from A.A. assuming they ever email me back about it. *frowns*

Yes, my $2,000 95 Legacy is quickly becoming a $3k, then a $4k car as I spend more and more on it.... Oh well, at least it's not a brand new $21k car. haha.

Once again, major props to you on your bumper!