Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2001 Forester Transmission removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wandersub

wandersub

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Houston, TX

Posted 18 October 2003 - 05:21 PM

i am working on the removal of the automatic transmission from my 2001 forester i have removed what i think are all of the bolts, i count 5 bolts and two nuts leaving two studs at approx the 4 and 8 o'clock positions. i removed 4 bolts from the torque converter mounting and the aft transmission mount is free.

i can not seem to get the engine and tranny to seperate i have tried everything i can think of. if i releave preassure on the tranny jack the whole engine pivots as one unit. there is no sign of seperation anywhere. HELP PLEASE!!!!:banghead:

#2 Phillip

Phillip

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Eugene, OR

Posted 18 October 2003 - 10:55 PM

Seperating the engine from the transmission when removing the engine from my 1999 Outback was also quite difficult. The two dowl pins (pressed into the block) were frozen tight in the trans case from electrolysis. Penetrating oil and vulgar language did nothing to break it free. I finally lifted the tailshaft of the trans with a floor jack, creating a small gap between the trans and engine on each side. I CAREFULLY slid in a thin putty knife on each side of the gap and raised & lowered the jack repeadedly. Slowly I was able to insert the putty knives further and further in the growing gap between the engine & trans (use thicker scrapers as the gap widens). I spent a good 2-3 hours seperating the engine from the trans. CAUTION: you WILL break the transmission case or block if you apply enough uneven force! If you try this, make DARN SURE you've got all the engine to transmission bolts removed. Hopefully someone else will know a quicker & easier trick, if not, take your time and you'll get it.

#3 wandersub

wandersub

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Houston, TX

Posted 20 October 2003 - 04:40 PM

Just wanted to post a quick thanks. We finally got the transmission off with a little bit of gentle prying and pulling. Of course once we got it off I found my problem was much worse than I had hoped:boohoo:

Oh well, on to find a used transmission.

Thanks again.

#4 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 20 October 2003 - 05:43 PM

Get one from Az!

They are Dual Range down under!:banana:

For what it's worth,
Glenn
82 Hatch, has D/R tranny.:brow:
01 Forester, wants a D/R tranny.:madder:

#5 leaksoilknocksclutch

leaksoilknocksclutch

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • new york

Posted 20 October 2003 - 05:46 PM

WOW, a 99 and a 01 that have tranny issues? YIKES!!

#6 wandersub

wandersub

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Houston, TX

Posted 23 October 2003 - 11:33 AM

The only reason my '01 has a trannie issue is because an oil change place partially drained my differential fluid when doing an oil change. Can't prove it but I'm pretty sure that's what happened. My guess is some kid started draining the diff fluid and stopped once he realized it wasn't oil. He probably then drained my engine oil and never topped off the diff. I then proceeded to drive ~800 miles towing a boat like that! Learned my lesson!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users