Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interesting retractable canvas topper ... close to what I wana build for my brat

Ok, here's the basics ... in the pic the light grey is the canvas topper ribs in the stowed position, (they would be hinged at the bottom) the blue is in the deployed position ... the back top cross bar would be detachable, and some aditional cross bars for strength would also be detachable to make a square frame for the top with the canvas rolled up for the top piece at the front, and the side pieces would be rolled on the sides. The total cost of the entire thing shouldn't be more than $30-$50 including the aluminum tubing and canvas from a local military surplus :headbang:

post-10451-136027606631_thumb.jpg

You may want to have the folded position on the front support below the roof line or at least even with the roof line.

That way it will not catch the wind when it's not in use?

Keep us posted!:banana:

Yep! like I was saying, that was just a VERY rough drawing hehe ... basic conceptual stuff ... I will be building this ASAP .. so like in the next 2 mons I hope:rolleyes: :drunk:

• 1 year later...
HA HA HA HA HA :lol: i just noticed this was started like a year ago. when i saw the "any progress" comment ah ha ha ha ha

LOL! ya ... I progressed to a new project. :-p

I don't know if I will get any time soon to do this, building a trailer and moving first. I will have to think about how I will modify either the canvas or just remove my rollbar lights while it's on. :burnout: