Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting retractable canvas topper ... close to what I wana build for my brat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

Apprentice to Subie Gurus

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Marooned in Oregon City

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

Here's a really fancy one, I just wana make one that attaches just behind the cab, and rolls up on the front, with some kind of ribs to support it. These ones are neat too tho: http://www.autoenhan.../softopper.html :cool:

#2 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:21 AM

It would store well when you don't want a shell.

I don't think it would last as long as a fiberglass or aluminum one...:rolleyes:

#3 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:55 AM

Woot! I have a great basic design idea ... I'm gonna make one best I can from a pic it will be crude but give you all the general idea :brow:

#4 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

Ok, here's the basics ... in the pic the light grey is the canvas topper ribs in the stowed position, (they would be hinged at the bottom) the blue is in the deployed position ... the back top cross bar would be detachable, and some aditional cross bars for strength would also be detachable to make a square frame for the top with the canvas rolled up for the top piece at the front, and the side pieces would be rolled on the sides. The total cost of the entire thing shouldn't be more than $30-$50 including the aluminum tubing and canvas from a local military surplus :headbang:

Attached Files

#5 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:36 PM

You may want to have the folded position on the front support below the roof line or at least even with the roof line.
That way it will not catch the wind when it's not in use?

Keep us posted!:banana:

#6 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

You may want to have the folded position on the front support below the roof line or at least even with the roof line.
That way it will not catch the wind when it's not in use?

Keep us posted!:banana:

Yep! like I was saying, that was just a VERY rough drawing hehe ... basic conceptual stuff ... I will be building this ASAP .. so like in the next 2 mons I hope:rolleyes: :drunk:

#7 Virrdog

Virrdog

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • NE Ohio

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:08 PM

Yep! like I was saying, that was just a VERY rough drawing hehe ... basic conceptual stuff ... I will be building this ASAP .. so like in the next 2 mons I hope:rolleyes: :drunk:

Any progress?

#8 subaruguru

subaruguru

Oldschool Cool

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:44 AM

HA HA HA HA HA :lol: i just noticed this was started like a year ago. when i saw the "any progress" comment ah ha ha ha ha

#9 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:14 AM

HA HA HA HA HA :lol: i just noticed this was started like a year ago. when i saw the "any progress" comment ah ha ha ha ha

LOL! ya ... I progressed to a new project. :-p

I don't know if I will get any time soon to do this, building a trailer and moving first. I will have to think about how I will modify either the canvas or just remove my rollbar lights while it's on. :burnout:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users