Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL-10 on Rt.287 (NJ) w/ Flat-4 on Roof

Not sure where to post this - this seems like the best place....

Today, at about 5PM on Rt. 287 in Mahwah NJ, I saw something I'm certain I will never see again. As I was buzzing along, I saw a bunch of brake lights ahead and traffic coming to a near stop. I could see cars in the right light lane struggling to jump into the passing lane - my first thought was that there must have been an accident. As I got myself into the passing lane, I could finally see that it was a slow car causing the bottle-neck.

Getting closer, dodging cars cutting in front of me all the while, I could see that the car was an older Subaru with something on the roof - probably an early 80's GL-10 Coupe. My first thought was that it was a deer on the roof, forgetting for the moment that deer season had long ago passed. It wasn't until I was finally about to pass the car that I realized what I was seeing - a complete flat-4 engine tied to the roof, sitting in a noticeable dent created by it's weight.:eek: I kid you not.:-\

Too bad I didn't have my camera - I would have surely had a winning candidate for this year's Darwin Award.

You can't make this stuff up - why would you bother???

They should have thrown some wood under it to spread the weight. Why was it slowing them down?

I can only guess that maybe he was scared to drive faster.:-\ Or maybe the engine on the roof was going to replace the sick one under the hood? :confused:

All things considered, logic may be difficult to apply here....:rolleyes:

Because he had a forklift at each end of his trip, but no friend to help him lift it out of the back? Maybe no forklift or friend, but he could just heave it up on his shoulder and slide it onto the roof - a big guy, but not big enough to put it inside by himself?

Didn't mind a dented roof, but didn't want a greasy interior?

He was probably going slow because he didn't trust his tiedown job.