Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6x6 buggy

DJtheGOD

You could have individual brakes on the rear wheels, its not hard to put front calipers onto the back discs and use the handbrake cable attachment, and the even brake bias is more suited to sand as well.

4th gear is pretty much 1:1... if i'm not mistaken 4th gear just connects the input shaft from the engine directly to the output shaft going out to the diffs... completely ignoring the layshaft which has all the gears on it... so theoretically it is 1:1...:rolleyes:

i think the .03-.08 difference is due to slop in the gears...?

Not trying to be rude, but heres how a subaru trans works, 4th gear isnt direct, its .972 ratio on an EA trans. Any loss of power and traction is just as important on sand:

post-7431-136027606845_thumb.jpg

I dont really think he has that much interest in running it in sand, he lives no where near sand. and another part of running the second gear box is to use the front hubs so they can be turned. and how about runnig a different tyre size to negate the gear ratio. not really that complicated just mathematicly challenging and heaps and heaps of engineering:clap:

I dont really think he has that much interest in running it in sand, he lives no where near sand. and another part of running the second gear box is to use the front hubs so they can be turned. and how about runnig a different tyre size to negate the gear ratio. not really that complicated just mathematicly challenging and heaps and heaps of engineering:clap:

Yup thats the plan and "engineering" isnt really that challenging as that is my trade,the difference in the 4th gear gear ratio over or below 1:1 will not be a problem as it will not be driven very far on sealed roads it will be towed to and from the "fUN" places.which makes me think a manual gear train would be better so I can tow it behind the cruiser on an A Frame...

more to think about...

Ok all other of my projects('86 Leone RX Coupe into a Ute,Subaru powered Trike and Rotary into a Legacy) have beeen put on the back burner because I have decided what I am going to do first and that is a 6x6 off road buggy made from Subaru parts...

Here goes the idea EA82T and gearbox in the front then short drive shaft(just long enuff to seat two people) to another gearbox locked in 4th(one to one I think) then outta the rear of the to a rear diff,thus giving me 2 4 and 6 wd (and the possibility of the rear set either pushing the front or being pulled by it) thinking maybe 6x6x6 (all steerable) but will get the 6x6 running first...

Man I hate having all those old Subies lying around giving me these bloody ideas..:grin:

DILLIGAF

DJ

lol. Well take a look at this Gama Goat: http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m561.php3

I got hooked on wheeling by operating this thing way back when. 3-53 Detroit sitting right behind you, supercharged, 6 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering. Articulated power joint. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

also look at www.USA6x6.com . they have a nice over axle gear box that you might be able to modify for the subie diff. it is designed to replace the pinion flange on Corp 14 Bolt OR 9 inch Ford rearends. they run around $2700 so not cheap. you could also do your own cheaper with 2 sprockets and a chain. also load shareing suspension is important for stability on roads. as for steering, I suppose the center wheels could steer, but usually they try to put the steering on the rear axle to tighten the turning radius. also you will need to do the math to figure the ratio out. again this could adversly affect the stabiliyt at speeds above 35-40.