Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 (and maybe EA81) owners... how about some CUP HOLDERS!!!

So... here we go... clean looking cup holders for the EA82!!! Unfortunately you have to have the aftermarket stereo plate to make this work. Since this works in EA82's with the plate, it'd probably work in EA81's as well. Know that half-side dummy plate that's under the main hole for the stereo? This cup holder uses the hole for it.

You need to use the cup holder unit out of a 1991-94 Nissan Sentra. It basically consists of a mounting sleeve that holds a sliding cup holder assembly. If you can find a car at the yard with the vent panel off, this cup holder comes off with only 2 screws. It's located below the heater/AC controls.

Before installing this in the car, you need to do a few things. The sliding mounting collar- it needs to come off and be flipped over, then slid back on. You want the sides with the mounting holes to be flush with the back of the stereo plate. You'll also need to trim some plastic off the corners of the mounting holes, so they will clear the screw posts on the stereo faceplate.

The cup holder has a couple little wire brackets on top that flip down so you can put those little Japanese soda cans in it. There won't be enough room to flip them up for American drinks once the holder is mounted. Pop those suckers off and get rid of them!

Once you have the cup holder screwed onto the back of the mounting plate, you'll have to modify the stereo brackets on the car. As you know they taper inward on the bottom, where the plastic cubby hole mounts. You need to either cut off the bottom of these brackets, or bend the bottom out of the way, as the cup holder is a good 3/4 inch wider than the cubby hole.

Then just screw the stereo plate on, and that's it!

Pics:

100_1186.jpg

100_1189.jpg

100_1190.jpg

It'll be a little hard to work the stereo controls with cups in the holder, but hey, it's worth it IMO.

Clearance is OK with an automatic, the stick may come VERY close to the holder in a manual. You may have to put a couple washers on your screws and move the holder farther back into the dash.

I'm just remembering what one of the mechanics in my National Guard unit did for his drink in a 2 1/2 ton truck. The doors are perfectly flat on top, and just made from painted steel. He used a magnet from a speaker, and a steel enameled coffee cup. hehehe worked pretty good too. And looked hella funny going down the freeway - with a coffee cup sitting on the door. Looked like it was about to fall out.

GD

i just took one of those cheap little cup holders that slides into the window area on your door.i cut the angle off of it so that it was flat. i then drilled two hole and screwed it to the dash. holds just fine and doesn't require much work . first performance mod i did to my wagon. don't be this guy:drunk: holding your beer like a sucker. get a cup holder:headbang:

I'm pretty sure the cubbyhole in EA81s is quite a bit smaller than EA82s...you'd have to remove everything in the center dash panel to mount that. Ashtray, and radio, or the balance control for the stock stereo would have to go and quite a bit of cutting would be required. I think it's a little too close, even for the AT shifter, too.

GD, the interlock button on the auto tranny (and the plasticy stuff the stalk is made of) would prevent bending the AT shifter for the cupholder. You'd probably have to replace the entire top half of the shifter with something bent back towards the rear of the car, and relocate or rewire the button. I think bending the metal shifter rod on the manual would be easy enough though--assuming you wanted to do all the cutting work on the center of the dash.

Hey General, sure your not in my unit? I do that with my stainless coffee cup on my duece. I've also gone as far as making up a metal loop that a 1L of Mt. Dew fits into nicely and that hooks into my magnet and holds the Dew nicely. (I drink Dew way more often than coffee, in fact, I've been told by many that my blood is prolly green). As for cup holders in my cars, wouldn't work, the only cup I use is a 64oz Circle K or 7-11 cups, and I haven't found a cup holder on the market that fits them. (have one that holds my cup in the Brat that I made, don't wanna mess with the HT to do that though).

AKIRA: Malcolm Bricklin went from importing Fuji Rabbit scooters (unsafe) to Subaru 360s (deathtraps) to the SV-1 (supposedly safe) to the YUGO (definitely safe unless, by some freak of nature, you got it started). The Bricklin even locked you inside the car if the battery died! (Power gullwing doors and power windows were NOT a good combination.)

He tried importing the new Yugo Koral (based on the old GV, which in turn was based on the '70s-era Fiat 128) and the all-new Florida. The "Z" comes from the parent company, Zastava Yugo Ltd. of Serbia and the new subdivision, Zastava Motor Works of the United States. I don't know if he ever got the new cars to pass the Federal safety standards, but I'm sure if there's some way he can get them in here he will. The Yugo name, incidentally, will not be used in the United States. I guess it still has the same connotation as "Pinto" or "Pacer".

Actually, the "Brick" was a pretty inovative car. They only made 2585 of them and 1500 of them are still around. As far as getting out goes, most have been converted to air instead of hydraulic lift for the doors and the electric solinoids have been replaced with air actuators. You could always crawl out of the back hatch. The guy is also famous for the 2000.00 dollar EV Warior bicycle. Another venture that went the way of the Yugo. He worked on a 12 cylinder rotary engine with a man named Turner that only had 147 moving parts and weighed half of a V-8, producing 500 ponies. Early use of radical technology, acrylic over fiberglass, and a complete integral roll cage, molded in safety only colors, yellow, red, orange, white and suntan. The guy blew 32,000,000 million of the Canadians money building them. They sold in 1974 for $10,000. They cost more than 13,000 each to make. The later ones had Ford running gear in them and could be made pretty fast. Average selling price today, 6 to 30 thousand.

• 1 year later...