Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Alternator upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 todda1

todda1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • cherry hill

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

Is there a higher output alternator available for my 92 Loyale? The 65 amp unit can't keep up with the stereo and accesories.

I watch the voltmeter and see it dropping below 12 volts and it's needed a jump after a high volume music session, on occasion.

-Todd

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:30 PM

Drop in a GM alt - you'll need to modify the brackets a bit, but it's not all that hard. Just get the alt, and then work the brackets around till you come up with a solution. That's what I've done - EA81 here tho, so gonna be different.

XT6 alts are close too, so you might be able to get one - I think those are 90 amp. Still not as much as you can get from a good 120 amp GM unit for a caddy.

GD

#3 todda1

todda1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • cherry hill

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

I was hoping to find a drop in replacement, but if I'll need to modify a different make, I guess that's it.

A 90 amper may cut it.... I'm only running roughly 500 watts (max). I need to dig out the amp manuals and see what they draw at idle.

Thanks,
Todd

#4 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

definatly, im working on gettina a GM100 amp to swap in.my alt is going to go any day :-\ . I think RavenTBK has a very good write up on this, use the search function..

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:58 PM

The GM swap is all about the mounting - wireing is the same, just a different connector. You can get the GM pigtail either from the junk yard or from a parts counter, and just solder / heat shrink it to the harness and you are golden.

Write ups are good, but since there are so many varieties of EA82 out there - inboard/outboard alternator, and so forth, it's really best just to get one, and start trying to jam it in there. You'll figure out something, and as long as you have an angle grinder and drill bits the rest is just using what god gave you (hopefully).

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users