Ultimate Subaru Message Board

borla headers

i tried it a while back, never got a response. kinda sucked, cause i like the design they have for the ej engines, i was looking at the ej22 header they have, looks like what i want to make for my rx. if i get something like that , ill be happy to get copies made for anyone that wants one.

are EA82T's dual port or single port? if they are single port you can get the borla single port header, and cut one pipe, then extend it about 1.5'', if you know how to weld stainless, it could be done, but only if EA82T's are single port. i had to do the reverse for my EJ22 conversion, i used my EA82 header with the single port EJ22.

~Josh~

thats fine and dandy if you want an equal length header and done care about how its sounds afterwords. me personally, i dont want to loose the rumble that you get with tuned length.

i think i am actually going to try to make my own set of headers for the car. i just got a welder today and im tracking down the bends ill need, so i should have something soon enough. i hope.

TWE headers!

Here's a pic:

3_2_369.jpg

The dealership that bought 10 of em' back about 2 years ago might still have one or two in a back room somewhere. Ask WJM. They were $399 If I recall, and worth every single penny!

um borla headers are expensive. i dont know too many of you that could afford them.

umm, what?

i paid $150 for my borla headers, new, from borla. then again, you also quoted a jeep header, slighty alot more complicated than a subaru header.

umm, what?

i paid $150 for my borla headers, new, from borla. then again, you also quoted a jeep header, slighty alot more complicated than a subaru header.

interesting what was it for i did a quick search before i posted and saw none that cheap. the sti one was pretty expensive

WJM put it quite well...

Equal length will take the boxer away. Tuned length is actaully TUNED to the engine's exhaust pulses, and will not nessisarily take or bring the boxer sound. With a stright pipe, the Tuned length TWEs will take the boxer sound away. The Un-equal length stock headers on all subarus is what causes the boxer sound. The borlas are semi-tuned pipes that are better than stock but are still 50% crap....and mostly dont fit right, and give the boxer sound a grumble with the right cats and cat back.

My head is about to EXPLODE from reading this thread.

First, Borla WILL NOT MAKE HEADERS for the EA82. They REQUIRE a demand enough to sell over 300,000 units over the course of 2 years. Are there 300,000 EA82T's on the road? NO.

Plus, the borla's will crack and you'd have to take them back off and send them in for warrenty replacement etc etc etc...that takes months.

Second, the TWE headers are NOT equal length. My RX still sounds like any other boxer engine with unequal length headers on it...as it has UNEQUAL LENGTH HEADERS ON IT!!!!!!!!! Granted with out ANY pipes on it...its sorta unboxerish...with a PROPER exhaust on it, it sounds like any other turbo boxer. *err...had...has nothing now...but will have EJ25 Borlas on it soon*

Third, $299~$310 is the going price for NEW dual port Borlas for subies. The Single ports are near impossible to find and are upwards $400 a set, and crack worse than the duals.

Fourth, TWE makes headers already, buy them.

not to offend anyone, but i dont like the twe headers. i think they are kinda fugly and too complicated looking, granted, every sound clip ive heard of a suby with the twe set up sounds like an inline four powered car. eh, im just going to build my own header and go from there.

on a side note, anyone know why the stock manifold is a pipe in a pipe??

i just cut apart one of my spares to try to use a section of it for something and noticed that there is a much smaller pipe running inside of the cross over section of the pipe.

not to offend anyone, but i dont like the twe headers. i think they are kinda fugly and too complicated looking, granted, every sound clip ive heard of a suby with the twe set up sounds like an inline four powered car. eh, im just going to build my own header and go from there.

on a side note, anyone know why the stock manifold is a pipe in a pipe??

i just cut apart one of my spares to try to use a section of it for something and noticed that there is a much smaller pipe running inside of the cross over section of the pipe.

My head is going to explode.

The ammount of stupidness in this thread is almost unbearable.

i think we can trust wjm when he says it still sounds like a boxer. the sounds clips i've heard still sound like boxers, just at a higher pitch. also, who cares it the twe header looks complicated and fugly?

function over form.

WJM, thanks for the info on the borla headers, i was just looking for an alternative to the TWE header since i'm sitting at $300 for a header right now. i just wait a little longer then get the twe, sounds like a better deal.

-Victor