Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thumbs to the OUTSIDE of the steering wheel...

scrap487

... yeah, I almost broke my thumb the other day. Sure is sore, wont ever do that again...

I was gonna post this awhile ago but I got sidetracked, was wheeling up on the farm, had to back down something, tire caught on a rock, turned it really fast and BAM, crack go my thumb against the steering wheel.

also, wanna give props to Albie out at Allied Armament. He gave up a good portion of his work day to fix my camber, on short notice, for no cost. My subaru handles sooo much better now. for all those looking to lift ea81 wagons, top holes/plate in the strut extenion need to be offset about 2.3 inches outward from the bottom for a 6" lift, or have the ends of the extension cut at a 22 degree angle(for any amount of lift).

I winced when I read that..

Yeah, it's amazing how hard the wheel can kick when you catch a wheel. I've had it happen a couple times in my wagon, so I know now to keep the thumbs out in the woods.

The worst vehicle I've driven for wheel kick was a spring over axel lifted suzuki samuri that me and a friend set up. We didn't spend much time on allignment angles, and that thing was dangerous how hard it would kick.

Last Fall I crushed the tip of my thumb in a PEM Press and about a week later with a wrapped splint on the thumb the wheel caught while backing up and those pesky knobs on the inside of the steering wheel caught dead on the tip of my thumb...the pain from that was 10 times worse than when I crushed it... :eek: OUCH!!! ~~Lucas

This happened at WCSS7 while going through the trees. This pic is a lot later after the redness went away, it was gnarly at first. I hit a stump on the driver's side and the wheel kicked hard right. I have broken a thumb nail pretty good one other time but since I have learned to keep the fingers away!

PICT0708_Medium.sized.jpg

This happened at WCSS7 while going through the trees. This pic is a lot later after the redness went away, it was gnarly at first. I hit a stump on the driver's side and the wheel kicked hard right. I have broken a thumb nail pretty good one other time but since I have learned to keep the fingers away!

PICT0708_Medium.sized.jpg

That reminds me of the marks I got as a kid when my parents would beat me with a clothes hanger :(

That reminds me of the marks I got as a kid when my parents would beat me with a clothes hanger :(

plastic one or metal hangers.plastic ones stung more,though they brake to easy.

Dear Lord, that's nasty - all I got was a bamboo kitchen spoon...

plastic fly swatter here..

yup having the thumbs inside of the wheel while offroading is a good way to brake thumbs..