Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What can you do to an ej22 to get more power out of it? I was thinking of having the heads ported/polished and maybe having the heads decked. I was also thinking of getting a cam from delta cams. What else would you do to build it up? Give me all options here, expensive or otherwise. What kind of horsepower would I be looking at?

best way to make more power for cheap and easy is find yourself a donor turbo legacy. i know i see them on the board in my area wrecked for under $1000 and then you get all kinds of other nice upgrades for your car to swap from the donor.

well, externally, reduce as much rotating mass as practical. Lighter flywheel (some folks report CEL problems under 8-11 lbs. I'd a get a 13 lb FW). lightened (but maybe not underdriven) crank, alt,PS pulleys. And lighter rims too(SSR, Kosei, etc.).

Those items don't ADD power, but remove losses and get you a little quicker response too.

sounds really fun!

• 11 months later...

Dang...it's been a while since the original, but whatever!

There is a huge aftermarket for these engines.

I'd say do this:

- eBay headers

- Lightened flywheel

- Intake system (more air = more powaaaa.)

- Cam it.

Start with that. Those are the main things for n/a power. Past that, you get into deep $ to the point where a turbo setup would yield MUCH better results (for instance, the EJ22 = 135 hp, EJ22T = 165 hp or somewhere thereabouts).

The EJ22Ts are getting to be hen's dentures more and more.

Might look into the hybrid EJ25/22 (kind of a EJ23.5 if you will)

And this line Jibs speaks

"I was also thinking of getting a cam from delta cams."

For this to work you might want to get two cams

or four if you do the DOHC EJ25.

Good luck I am in the middle of an EJ23.5 myself.

There is a huge aftermarket for these engines.

No offense but I completely disagree. The aftermarket for the EJ22 isn't too great. The aftermarket is huge for Honda Civics. There's hardly even any headers for this engine and just as few exhaust systems.

You can get lightened crank pulleys and underdrive pulleys but I heard that underdrive pulleys are no good anyways. Not many people build these engines.

So finding an EJ22 car would be your best bet, IMO.

But a LOT of stuff for the new Soobs will work on the EJ22.

Don't forget, aftermarket rods for an EJ205 will fit perfectly in an EJ18, EJ22, or EG33.

Custom pistons are a bit pricey, but definitely available.

If you wanna go NA on an EJ22. you can do cams, shave the heads a little, go for bigger injectors, and get some EM. You'll be at or past the rated HP of the NA EJ25s.

So what is a good size pipe for low to mid rpm POWER with ej22.I wonder how duels with a crossover would sound or if they would even be worth it...

From what I've read, you want high velocity and smooth piping to maintain low end torque. 3" is definitlely too big unless you're over about 300hp. 2.25 or maybe 2.5 ?

Someone here will know better.

Uberoo, your ECU (and our granchildens' environment)

will not be happy campers.

With the advent of twin in/ twin out high flow cats

(less than 100 clams)

why not let one be your extraction balance point?

Answer?

why will the ECU not be happy?I might put a high flow cat in but right now money is VERY tight.

Uby, the EJ's ECU needs an 02 sensor to control the A/F

and I didn't see you mention one thats all.

If you go with an

OBD I unit, just one 02 will do and placed properly

the ECU will not complain.

If it happens to be an OBD II (like mine) then there are two

02 sensors and the second one checks the cat condition

and the job the ECU is doing.

I don't think the ECU would be happy with no cat to check the condition of.

My EJ23.5 twin port, has Borla headers (not the best but...)

I plan on a three way, single in, dual out - hiflow cat, back to twin tip resonators at the rear bumper.

I may need more noise control though.

Any $$ is way tight here to, but I need to pass PA IM OBD II inspection.

yeah... theyre called an ej25 shortblock! :lol:

but I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing about that by now.

ej22 has some sweet combos you can build out of them and various ej25 heads and blocks but as a unit the ej22 is not really worth playing around with other than skim the heads, delta cams and a little DIY porting action, or low boost turbo setup on the stock motor.

Yes, thank you Shawn. Displacement does not change in any way, shape, or form, unless the bore or stroke are changed.

There are three ways to get higher comp out of a 2.2:

1) Put EJ18 heads on it... not advised since EJ18 heads are supposed to be the worst flowing EJ heads.

2) Shave the stock heads. Can't be done too much though, a lot of work and $$$ for little benefit.

3) Get custom pistons made. Best option, might make engine interference, but will ultimately be most beneficial option.