Ultimate Subaru Message Board

skeet vs. EA82 Engine

So me and my engine are about to throw down.

I'm ripping this SOB apart and putting in all new gaskets and bearings.

Questions....

AutoZone sells a kit with all Gaskets and Bearings for $320. I havent done any other price checking yet, so I don't know if its good or not. Thats what I have you guys for :D Can I get a better price on that stuff?

Also.. As long as I am opening it up and gutting it, what else should I do to it?

I'm ripping this SOB apart and putting in all new gaskets and bearings

First question is.. why?.. is there something wrong with gaskets and bearings and such..?

You got knocks and leaks and things? Or are you just a glutton for punishment trying to raise your level of subaru frustration back to the level of "The heavens opening up and doves flying out of your rump roast";)

dealer parts are considered to be the best by many people here, but (i think) richierich did some research as to what companies supply TO the dealer so you can get better pricing by going directly to them.

don't forget the timing belts, clutch kit, and water pump are brand new (timing belts - subaru, water pump - napa, clutch - rhino) .. the flywheel also shouldn't need to be machined because it was done so recently. the pilot and throwout bearings are new with the clutch kit and the clips for the TOB are new from the dealer too.

and this time take pics of the doves. that sounds like a must see!

I would check on line by doing a google search. That sounds kind of high. If you have to have them today, may be the way to go. I have seen both bearing and gasket sets on the bay. If you have a little time, it may be the way to go. But if it aint broke, why are we fixing it? A reseal will do the same do and be a lot easier on your head. If you want to practise, go to the JY and get a rebuildable engine and take your time. Do you have da book? Not the junkers, but a FSM. Don't even open it up without it. Good luck, your in the right place.

YES. I AM UBER JOKING. I AM A COMIC MASTERMIND. SEE HOW EASILY I WAS ABLE TO MANIPULATE YOUR FUNNYBONE WITH THAT GEM OF COMIC MASTERMINDEDNESS. LOW AND BEHOLD THE FUNNY WHICH I HAVE BESTOWETH ON THE USMB LIKE A CAT SPRAYING ITS TERRITORY.

Yes, its carbed.

hey man, while your at it rebuilding your engine, take the "spaghetti factory" of vacuum lines off your manifold. There'll be screws underneath and it'll lead to some thermovacuum valves... just take off all the vacuum lines; that way you don't have to buy so damn many vacuum caps.

Then clean the manifold up and repaint it, that's the way to do it.

just my bit of input. if the short block is ok dont mess with it. just do the gaskets. if you really want to tear down the lower end have fun and take your time. it will drastically increase your expense if you do the job correctly. just a note most machine shops dont know how to deal with a sube block.

just speaking from my own experience.

as for the cost of the parts. thats a little high if it does not include rings. and you definately should do rings if you tear down