Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Outback auto tranny filter

Does anyone have any advice on changing the auto transmission filter in a 1997 2.5 Outback (191k miles)? I cannot find any info regarding this in either the service schedule or my Haynes manual, but I know that the filter is available. I change the fluid regularly but my tranny still shifts rough...usually it'll "clunk" into the next highest gear and when I'm decelerating in traffic, it sometimes "clunks" into a lower gear. It is becoming more sluggish shifting into higher gears as well, though it has never shifted particularly smoothly since I've owned the car. I plan on having this car for a few more years but do not look forward to having to replace the tranny. Any advice, including possible fluid additives, would be appreciated.

Thx,

TZ

I can't remember if they had the external spin-on filter in 97, or if it started later. If so, it's a cakewalk. If not, you just drop the pan, and you have to remove a small metal tube that sits in the way of removing the filter. On the early legacy, the filter had a metal mesh inside that you could just clean out with brake cleaner, but I really don't know what yours might have. Also, the earlier models had a recall issue that was solved by installing a special external filter inline with the tranny cooler. I doubt that would solve your problem, but it might be something to look into in the future, since the filter retrofit kit is like $12 from Subaru.

Does anyone have any advice on changing the auto transmission filter in a 1997 2.5 Outback (191k miles)? I cannot find any info regarding this in either the service schedule or my Haynes manual, but I know that the filter is available. I change the fluid regularly but my tranny still shifts rough...usually it'll "clunk" into the next highest gear and when I'm decelerating in traffic, it sometimes "clunks" into a lower gear. It is becoming more sluggish shifting into higher gears as well, though it has never shifted particularly smoothly since I've owned the car. I plan on having this car for a few more years but do not look forward to having to replace the tranny. Any advice, including possible fluid additives, would be appreciated.

Thx,

TZ

Easy, you dont change it. There is no innfo because it is a screen in the tranny and not a filter. It can be replaced, but its not worth the work and tranny pan leaks that will folow.

Clunking, check all your drveline parts, mounts, driveshaft, cv joints and exhaust system mounts.

Clunking can be a one way clutch inside the tranny going bad. if you havnet changed the fluid in 30k miles change it. Have you tried shifting the car manually. The automatic shifting is controlled by the computer from a varity of inputs. It could be one of these inputs is going bad. Another posability is that the govenor is sticking or failing.

nipper