Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight oddity & "Why I Love Subaru's!"

Could be worse. I've got a college friend out in Rochester (though I believe he's back home in Buffalo...:rolleyes:) who owned an old station wagon, Chevy, I believe.

He was able to remove the key from the ignition while the car was running, without shutting the engine off. Talk about a worn ignition...

MY '84 GL overheated (or nearly did so) a couple of times last July or August-- I finally realized I'd been driving around with all my lights on in the middle of the day (thanks to Subaru's better idea). The car ran much cooler with the lights OFF for some reason. At night it wasn't a problem since the outside temp was much cooler. Still, I love the fact that the lights go off when the key's off. I don't know why more automakers do it!

Originally posted by the_bard

Could be worse. I've got a college friend out in Rochester (though I believe he's back home in Buffalo...:rolleyes:) who owned an old station wagon, Chevy, I believe.

He was able to remove the key from the ignition while the car was running, without shutting the engine off. Talk about a worn ignition...

My old 73 chevy truck does that. I actually like it.. its reaL handy sometimes.

On the other hand, My 70 corolla did that too.. on hard left turns, the keys would come flying out of the ignition:rolleyes:

My '80 chevy Citation did that too. All my friends knew it, as we used to use the keys for "stuff" while driving. A buddy went to pull them out while going down the freeway, and accidentally shut the car off, at 70mph! luckily it was on a straighaway, and I was able to get it restarted before we hit the retaining wall.