Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tire wear vs LSD

Guest baccaruda

Guest baccaruda

Which will wear faster, my front or rear tires? if I have an LSD in the back. I'm thinking rears as they are stressed more by turning?

Guest Russ Hill

Hi Andy,

Your front would still wear out fastest. The LSD wont make any diff (no pun intended). The LSD carrier doesn't really do anything too special until the right wheel begins to slip. Then it bleeds power to the left wheel until the right wheel gets traction again.

Unless the right wheel is slipping it acts the same as a non-LSD rear.

Guest Konrad

front will wear more because of the engine in front, and steering, Russ is right, the LSD will lock only if the other wheel is spinning, so on asphalt its hard to make (in 4WD) them spin,... its possible(:D ),...... in off-roading the tires are slipping and it dont make too much damage to the tires because mud or grass isn't so hard,......

konrad

1989 DL Wagon 5spd D/R with LSD

1984 GL Sedan RWD

1982 DL Sedan 4WD

Guest McBrat

the clutch type LSD's from the RX's and '89 GL-10 Turbos (3.700) are "locked" until they slip at about 45 lbs of pressure. that's why when you jack the rear end up, both wheels spin the same direction...

the Viscous LSD from the 91-93 turbo legacys, and newer soobs, is open to start with, but when one side spins, as the spinning gets faster, it starts to drag the other side with it....

auto.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm