Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How rare are the Gl-10 sedan?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Gl-boost

Gl-boost

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:22 AM

Are the sedans rarer than the wagons. I see more wagons than sedans on here or anware at that. Also I always here about full time 4WD, I think I have selct trac on my 87 sedan because mine is FWD then button to 4WD. Just some clarifacation would be nice.

#2 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,094 posts
  • ohio

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:29 AM

i got one a few years ago , it was a gl-10 turbo fwd a/t sedan , with a blown hg , lady just left it , owner of the appt had it towed and i got it , dark blue,

#3 Gl-boost

Gl-boost

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

Mine is silver with blue interior, was junked to m father and he let me have it. I dont see any and I onl saw this one before they junked it. My ather picked up one junk turbo wagon last year and that was it.

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:50 AM

In my experience, while not actually rare, there do seem to be fewer GL-10 Sedans than wagons. I have had 4 GL-10 wagons.. whereas I have only had 1 sedan

#5 Gl-boost

Gl-boost

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

Thats what I mean, I never see them anywhere. Oh and I know where there is an hatch back turbo. Are they called a Gl-10 also.

#6 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:18 PM

Thats what I mean, I never see them anywhere. Oh and I know where there is an hatch back turbo. Are they called a Gl-10 also.

Thats actually called a coupe.. hatch is the older body style. The turbo coupes everyone knows the best are the RXs

#7 Jack in Norfolk

Jack in Norfolk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,080 posts
  • Marblehead, MA

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

I looked at buying one quite a while ago. It was like 8 or 9 yrs back. It had quite a few options. It was a turbo with the air ride and full time 4wd and trip computer. But it had steel wheels and hubcaps?? I figure it had been screwed with since it was at a used subie dealer. I passed because I wanted a wagon. But i don't see to many around now.
Did they make ea81 GL10 sedans?

#8 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:16 PM

I have an 89 GL-10 Sedan. Full time 4wd with the center diff lock, turbo, air ride(has been swapped with coils), did-dash, trip computer(trip, average speed, outside temp, fuel range, alarm, eta), power windows and locks, A/C, cruise, fold down rear seats, power sun roof, power steering, as well as the 4 wheel disc brakes. I would have to say that this car has every available option offered at the time.
But after having this, I miss my old 86 carbed 3-door, it was much simpler!

#9 Gl-boost

Gl-boost

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

If you all have full time 4WD then that means that its always in four wheel drive right. so then what does my car have. Its FWD to button 4WD. Frank B I have al the same options as your 89 on my 87 Gl-10.

#10 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

i owned one several yrs back.it was a 89 full time 4wd 5spd.stupidly sold it to some girl that i heard turned around and junked it.

if i only had know that she was gonna do that,i wouldn't have sold her the car.i loved the fact that i t was turbo.only problems i had was rust along the bottom seam on the front doors and rust inside the rear wheel wells.oh and man did it TICK!!

wish i had some pics of it.it was grey with blue interior.mine had all the options that frank b's had except for the center diff lock(or i don't remeber it having it)

#11 rllywgn

rllywgn

Diff Lock Dynamite!

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • Vegas Baby

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

you have the push button fourwheel drive it uses an actuator to engage the fourwheeldrive.. the actuator is below your spare tire kinda above the trans as i recall

ea81's were available as a GL-10

not every GL-10 had alloys from the factory

rllywgn

#12 Gl-boost

Gl-boost

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

My Gl-10 has steel wheels with hub caps.

#13 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:56 AM

GL-10s were available in the following body styles:

Sedan EA81 1983-4
Wagon EA81 1983-4
Coupe EA81 1983-4
Convertible EA81 1983-4
Sedan EA82 1985-9
Wagon EA82 1985-9
Touring (raised roof) Wagon 1989
XT Coupe 1985-87.5

There was never a 3-door with the "GL-10" designation--moderately optioned they were the GL and GL Turbo; loaded they were called the RX. Some "fully loaded" GL 3-doors carry RX VINs. The labels say GL because of the colors available in that year (where the color of the car might not mesh with the availability in the options, Subaru apparently built an RX, put an RX VIN on it, and slapped GL decals on). The whole VIN thing is a little, er, odd...Corky (Dr. RX) is the person to talk to about that.

The Touring Wagon was a wagon with a bump in the roof--no sunroof was available from the factory, the roof was raised about 2 inches aft of the driver, all other GL-10 options were the same.

All EA82 GL-10s (other than a touring wago) will have a sunroof. On sedans and wagons, this is a power sliding affair with a sunshade. On XTs, it's a removable panel that stows in the trunk.

Also, EA82 cars will have a digital dashboard. Most EA81 cars were sold with a flip-up manual sunroof and the first-gen digidash, but I know of one one-owner GL-10 coupe with an analog dash. Not sure if they all came with sunroofs or not in that generation.

The GL-10 will also buy you upgraded, full cloth upholstery, adjustable front headrests (for height and reach in sedans & wagons '85 on up, reach only in XTs), standard air, power windows, door locks, and mirrors; and special decals on most models.

They were offered with optional turbo, 4WD, alloy wheels, etc. The cassette was also a dealer option, even on the GL-10. None of these options were ever standard, to the best of my knowledge, although it seems the bulk of surviving cars have them.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong--I'm only human and could stand to learn from this too. :)

#14 Jack in Norfolk

Jack in Norfolk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,080 posts
  • Marblehead, MA

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:25 AM

Good stuff here. Great info. I'd love to see pics (interior and exterior) from the guys on this thread that presently roll the elusive GL10 sedan.

#15 rllywgn

rllywgn

Diff Lock Dynamite!

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • Vegas Baby

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:43 AM

heres my 88 GL-10 sedan ft4wd turbo
Posted Image
Posted Image

has the full cloth interior and such... could use some new seat for sure... paddings all but gone..

rllywgn

#16 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:03 AM

NICE car. I love the Motion alloys, too...

#17 Gl-boost

Gl-boost

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:26 AM

Thats a nice Gl-10 you got yourself there, like the color to. Sigh, I wish mine were that clean, I have rust in alot of areas and if the car wasent so bad I would fi up the body. I was wondering about rareity because if I found anotherone I would buy it because they are nice cars and I don't see much of them.

#18 Sister7

Sister7

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Port Orchard

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:42 PM

I don't think the GL-10 sedan is so rare, it's just that the GL's are so common you lose perspective.

My favorite GL-10 upgrade is the foam spoiler :D

here's mine:
Posted Image

#19 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:45 PM

GL-10s were available in the following body styles:

Sedan EA81 1983-4
Wagon EA81 1983-4
Coupe EA81 1983-4
Convertible EA81 1983-4
Sedan EA82 1985-9
Wagon EA82 1985-9
Touring (raised roof) Wagon 1989
XT Coupe 1985-87.5

I never knew Subaru had made a convertible! I did a Google image search and found one, a black 1983 convertible. So for those who collect really rare Subarus, there's a new object of desire.

#20 burtonsnowman

burtonsnowman

Banned

• Banned
  • 448 posts
  • Elk (Spokane Area)

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:53 PM

I didn't know they were made either...I thought that one was just a custom job...

SWEET!:banana:

#21 wesley willis

wesley willis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • port alberni, bc, canada

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

thirded. a convertible sube would be sweet, especially one that could be had without the aid of a sawzall. :lol:

#22 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

I didn't know they were made either...I thought that one was just a custom job...

SWEET!:banana:

It kind of is a custom thing...

The vert was not a factory option. It was a dealer installed promo. there are only a few.. I found one in a yard in Tacoma a few years ago.. IIRC, Richie has it in portland now.

#23 Jack in Norfolk

Jack in Norfolk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,080 posts
  • Marblehead, MA

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:16 AM

heres my 88 GL-10 sedan ft4wd turbo
Posted Image
Posted Image

has the full cloth interior and such... could use some new seat for sure... paddings all but gone..

rllywgn

Really nice looking car! I had those Subaur fog lights on my gl wagon! I got them off of a justy I think, but I'm pretty sure that whoever put them on the justy got them off of an XT6. They were sweet. IPFs if I am not mistaken. I busted mine off on the beach or something.

#24 rllywgn

rllywgn

Diff Lock Dynamite!

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • Vegas Baby

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:08 AM

they are IPF's, these have been on 6 of my subaru's now... they came with my black 89 rx turbo. you can't find them anywhere, so i cant bear to part with them... i hope nobody jacks my covers...

also my foam spoiler is now a very nice rigid molded in trunk spoiler... i still smell like fiberglass... pics to come soon...

rllywgn

#25 Jack in Norfolk

Jack in Norfolk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,080 posts
  • Marblehead, MA

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:10 AM

Hmmm.... I'll have to keep my eye out for the fog lights w/ covers in junk yards. It seems like I saw them a few places when I got mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users