Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT Water/Oil problem.

Ok.. I know I have oil mixed with water... I know what that means but I'm sitting on thread of hope... that it could be a Intake gasket or a freeze plug What are the chances of that..?

I'm thinking about selling it... its posted. Anyone Willing to come over with a compression tester or something to find out if that is what it is.. Because I don't want to tear into the motor just to find out it was a Intake gasket.. or a freeze plug

xoomer

Intake gasket is highly unlikely unfortunately - only things that run through the intake to my knowledge is coolant and fuel/air. Check out the freeze plugs though, I'm not sure about those.

but coolantget thru to the fuel lines? into combustion chamber?

heck. hmm, don't really see how that can happen - doubtful that it's a headgasket, because the oil system is at a much higher pressure than the coolant system (or so I'm told anyway) - do you feel like draining the oil again, and seeing if there's more water in there? Maybe check the freeze plugs too?

Bad intake gaskets will generally cause the engine to burn the coolant, but you will see evidence of "milkshake" in the breather hoses, PCV valve, and oil cap as some of the coolant does get by the pistons rings as vapor and then condenses in the oil. Not a lot tho, and the oil is still usually pretty black. Delt with this problem many times on subaru's - often it is mis-diagnosed as a head gasket. Run a compression test, and see what you get.

GD