Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XT Water/Oil problem.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:10 AM

Ok.. I know I have oil mixed with water... I know what that means but I'm sitting on thread of hope... that it could be a Intake gasket or a freeze plug What are the chances of that..?

I'm thinking about selling it... its posted. Anyone Willing to come over with a compression tester or something to find out if that is what it is.. Because I don't want to tear into the motor just to find out it was a Intake gasket.. or a freeze plug

xoomer

#2 fbh

fbh

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Auckland

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:14 AM

Intake gasket is highly unlikely unfortunately - only things that run through the intake to my knowledge is coolant and fuel/air. Check out the freeze plugs though, I'm not sure about those.

#3 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:20 AM

Intake gasket is highly unlikely unfortunately - only things that run through the intake to my knowledge is coolant and fuel/air. Check out the freeze plugs though, I'm not sure about those.

but coolantget thru to the fuel lines? into combustion chamber?

#4 fbh

fbh

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Auckland

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:21 AM

Maybe, but that won't get oil in your coolant - I'm afraid that's not the answer to your problem :(

Is the car smoking at all?

#5 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:40 AM

More like water in oil problem

Droped about 2/3 quarts of water in when I drained the oil... any suggestions?

#6 fbh

fbh

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Auckland

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:42 AM

heck. hmm, don't really see how that can happen - doubtful that it's a headgasket, because the oil system is at a much higher pressure than the coolant system (or so I'm told anyway) - do you feel like draining the oil again, and seeing if there's more water in there? Maybe check the freeze plugs too?

#7 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:24 AM

hmm.. because I'm going thru bankruptcy right now, money is really tight..

I need to get this done for about $200

Someone got a turbo motor for about $200:brow:

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

Bad intake gaskets will generally cause the engine to burn the coolant, but you will see evidence of "milkshake" in the breather hoses, PCV valve, and oil cap as some of the coolant does get by the pistons rings as vapor and then condenses in the oil. Not a lot tho, and the oil is still usually pretty black. Delt with this problem many times on subaru's - often it is mis-diagnosed as a head gasket. Run a compression test, and see what you get.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users