Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water leak in passenger side floor

Hi All,

Living in the Phoenix area it doesn't rain often, but last Saturday it rained all day which is newsworthy (first time in 120 days). When I got in my 98 legacy outback the passenger side floor and mat was soaked. I could not find any obvious entry points. The windows were all closed and no water on the dash etc. Any ideas where I can start to look?

Hi All,

Living in the Phoenix area it doesn't rain often, but last Saturday it rained all day which is newsworthy (first time in 120 days). When I got in my 98 legacy outback the passenger side floor and mat was soaked. I could not find any obvious entry points. The windows were all closed and no water on the dash etc. Any ideas where I can start to look?

I have same problem with water behind the driver, on the floor.....:confused:Could be something about sunroof???....or his gasket??

Thank you.:mad:

Probably a front window seal leak. Has the front winshield been replaced? The rubber gaskets probably don't last as long in the AZ heat. It might be worth a shot. You won't see it leaking, because the leak is really behind the dash if its coming from the window, and it will leak down behind the carpet and pool under the carpet.

Hi All,

On my dads 1985 Subaru it had a similar problem, from what I re-call it had something to do with the A/C hoses, dunno but might be worth checking out?

Hi All,

Make sure the cowl drains are clear. Use a garden hose to soak the area where the windshield wipers park--right at the bottom middle of the windshield--- you should then see water draining out of the bottom rear edges of both front fenders. If water doesn't start draining immediately, the cowl drains are probably plugged up.

I have the same problem with my Legacy wagon. We've had a tarp over the car when it's not in use to keep the rain out and that is working to some extent... i'm still finding the same thing, floor mats are somewhat damp, although nowhere near as bad as before

There's also been a TON of rain here lately...:-\

I have the same problem with my Legacy wagon. We've had a tarp over the car when it's not in use to keep the rain out and that is working to some extent... i'm still finding the same thing, floor mats are somewhat damp, although nowhere near as bad as before

There's also been a TON of rain here lately...:-\

Behind the passenger side tire (front) there is a plastic cover (that extends

all the way around the wheel well). Take the wheel off, unbolt that cover

and see if the drain (pull black drain cover off) is plugged up with sand, dirt

and whatever else. Rainwater runs off your windshield down the drain system on the passenger side and if that exit is plugged the water runs back into the car above the passenger floor. It has happened to me twice.... first we thought the windshield was leaking and then the cowling

below the windshield, etc. Try it and see if that helps.

Hi All,

Hi All,

Also make sure the HVAC drain hose is clear. SInce your in phoneix not much water to take out of the air normally, so you may never notice the hose is clogged untill it rains.

nipper

• 2 years later...

Did this get resolved yet?

My 93 Legacy Estate (Wagon) had water in the driver footwell after rain last year.

Took me about a month to discover the cause.

There's an electrical cable run between the door controls and the main body.

This cable bundle is sheathed in rubber and sealed each end.

The rubber sheathing chafes through by rubbing against the car body every time you open the door.

When it rains water is guided from the bonnet and screen down a channel between the body and door and straight into this fractured bundle ending up in a footwell.

As an added comment, by the time you notice the leak it most probably has corroded the connectors just inside the main body. :(