Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

what color?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 19 October 2003 - 06:20 PM

I need a good low maintenance colour that is going to look good. Nothing fancy, just fairly basic colours. I might just go for flat black or olive drab/camo (spray gun not cans) but I would prefer something a bit more eyecatching, but not blinding like orange or lime green. This is going to be a "hardcore" 4x4 that is mainly for off-road, with little highway use. Ideas?

#2 AKIRA

AKIRA

USMB Reverend

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • Jersey Shore (Central) PA

Posted 19 October 2003 - 06:27 PM

Try astral gold, it catches the eyes yet it is not overly flashy.

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 19 October 2003 - 08:46 PM

I'm painting mine Xterra orange. It happens to be the subtractive opposite of the dark blue that my interior is made of. Try to pick something that will complement your interior color.

GD

#4 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 19 October 2003 - 08:49 PM

Always liked a dark Gunmetal grey metallic.
Perhaps a Forrest Green?
Dark colors are high maintaince, though Ie; they show dirt & scratches.
If this a trail rig, you might consider a line-x type bedliner paint job. comes in many colors, but is much pricier than paint.

My .02

#5 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 19 October 2003 - 09:08 PM

Prerunner trucks usually use white or grey because it doesn't show scratches as much. Probably a light blue would do the same thing.

#6 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 19 October 2003 - 10:51 PM

Hmm

-gunmetal and bedliner or aluminum plating

-White w blue stripes, blue wheels

-Flat black

-Camo

-Olive drab

So far these are my thoughts, btw I have a grey interior

#7 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 19 October 2003 - 11:16 PM

I'm also a big fan of flat black. Nearly half the vehicles I have owned have gotten sprayed in it.
Flat black is nearly impossible to keep looking good, like it does after it's newly painted. However, IMO, the patina it takes on after use/abuse is attractive in it's own right. Like Olive Drab, it almost looks better the worse it gets. Currently, my soob is camo'd and it is holding up very well. Dirt and scratches get lost in the field. Also a somewhat less than professional spray job looks much better in a flat color. Ie; you can make a few mistakes, and get away with it.

Luckily, the grey interior will go well with most any color choice.

#8 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 19 October 2003 - 11:21 PM

Eyesore, do you have more pix of your Wagon? I'd love to see some.

-Brian

#9 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 19 October 2003 - 11:30 PM

I have old photos when it was flat black, but most are to big for the boards size posting limitations (too many bytes). If someone can give me a crash course in how to re-size them, I'd love to post them up!
Somewhere on the old board, pics of the midwest gathering were posted, and there were some good shots of it in her current camo paint. Perhaps the owner of those photos could re post them for me? (don't remember who took them...McBrat? Tim? Shawn? )

#10 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 19 October 2003 - 11:32 PM

If you upload them to the USMB gallery, they will be resized automaticly. Let me know if you want a login and an album.

-Brian

#11 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 19 October 2003 - 11:32 PM

Yes, please!!

#12 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 20 October 2003 - 12:11 AM

I'm rather fond of Mica Red Pearl, but it scratches badly. Perhaps something like Harvest Beige or Cream Yellow would hide scratches while showing mud...if you're going for a not-so-subtle off-roader look. I think Mild Yellow, WR Blue and Sonic Yellow are probably the most, er, provocative colors Subaru has come out with, and the olivey-grey stuff on the new Legacies the most boring (aren't most Camrys that color beige?)

#13 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 20 October 2003 - 01:32 AM

If I go for color I'll be custom mixing the colour myself from marine enamel, which has shown itself as very durable and very cheap. So I doubt I'd be able to figure out Subaru colors. I too have painted many cars flat black. The trick to getting it clean is to wash it with wd 40. Leaves it a nice deep flat black, though the smoothed and slightly grayed finish that the paint wears to does look nice too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users