Ultimate Subaru Message Board

26-27 tires

Anybody have any recommendations for knobby tires with a 26"/27" actual diameter tire. I'm going with smaller tires to keep as much gear ratio as possible, as I will be on steep grades and rocks most of the time, and my emphasis will be on making long travel suspension.

I went with the 27 inch on 14" rim SSR's they will only fit with a lift if you want to do minor trimming, if you don't lift it will take a lot of trimming. those are some of the most agressive treads that you can get, i would do a search with rooinaters name as he has done an extensive writeup on tires and wheels.

if you don't have the wheels yet there are benifits to both the 14 and 15 inch rims, the 14 put more rubber between the wheel and the rock and the 15 has much more options. just somthing to think about.

I have the SSR radials, which are much more quiet then the bias ply, ive had them for a year and i cant say i regret them one bit.

there are other tires that you can get pretty cheap from wally world, if you don't mind supporting the evil empire, but they are still very good tires and a good 30-50 dollars cheaper

I have an incomplete set of toyota/datsun? 6 lug 6 spoke 14" rims, as well as the same style in 15". I found both sets of rims in the tire pile in about 5 min and the rims were all different colours on different tires, so I'm sure they are common rims. I should be able to complete either set easily. What did you pay for the ssr's? I will be doing a 6" lift with long travel suspension, so clearance is not the problem, gear ratio is the factor.

Goto the Cooper Tires webpage. Search for dealers near you from their page, and call each one. Ask them if they have any Cooper Discoverer STT's, 205/75R14's. They are about 26" in diameter. They have pictures listed on their page. I found mine and paid $320 for 4 tires mounted and ballanced. and Im very pleased with them.

-Brian

Im very happy with my Coopers. Ive taken them on 2 road trips (from California to Seattle and back. Then from California to Oregon and back). I have about 8,000 total miles on them, and they still kick rump roast off-road. I have them on 14" alloys, and i chose the 26's to keep my gearing as low as possible and used the alloys to save on wieght. The car drives great. Very good tires for pavement and dirt (better for dirt of course)

-Brian

I'm thinking these look good for off-road traction?

http://www.tnttires.com/cgi-bin/plugins/MivaEmpresas/miva?plugins/MivaMerchants/merchant.mvc+Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=OL

They are available in a 26"?

I'm considering running those or

http://www.tnttires.com/cgi-bin/plugins/MivaEmpresas/miva?plugins/MivaMerchants/merchant.mvc+Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ITP589

You probably want something more tame.......

Oh well,

Glenn,

82 Hatch, wants serious off-road tires....:banana:

01 Forester, ......jealous.............. :madder:

As far as fender trimming i had to do a lot anyways, i would say that with out a lift you will need a skill saw or somthing similar. i don't have any really good pics but if you look up SubaruTex's site he has some good pics of the trimming he did. sorry i can't be more specific, it really seems to depend on each model, if you have a GL those seem to need less then the DL's

I got a good deal on the SSR's off the internet for 106 per, thats about the cheapest ive seen them, the bias ply are much cheaper, but as far as noise and everyday driving the radials are worth every penny.