Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping windows??

Swapping the windows isn't too hard. You need to remove the inner door panel, including the window crank. You'll find some rollers at the top of the window held in place by a bolt with a 10mm head. Loosen those, and also the ones to the front and rear vertical tracks. Then, by taking the window almost all the way down, you can access the bolts that hold the glass to the regulator, which also have a 10mm head. There is a tab glued to the glass, and the tab is bolted to the regulator's horizontal track. Unbolt the glass from the regulator and lift out. You'll probably need to remove the weatherstrip at the back of the door's window opening.

• 1 year later...

I locked myself out of my Soobie tonight, and managed to pull the window back enough to get a stick thru over to the opposite rear door and pop open the lock ...

But by doing so, the window is out of track now ... did I bend anything ya think? Should I prepare myself for what I see when I pull the panel, or you think i can pop it back into place with everything off?

Manual says ther'es a weather seal, too - is that just a 'press-n-peel' plastic membrane?

I locked myself out of my Soobie tonight, and managed to pull the window back enough to get a stick thru over to the opposite rear door and pop open the lock ...

But by doing so, the window is out of track now ... did I bend anything ya think? Should I prepare myself for what I see when I pull the panel, or you think i can pop it back into place with everything off?

Yeah - probably bent some stuff. It's tight in there but it should be fixable. The track and rollers and stuff just bolts to the window and the inside of the door.

Manual says ther'es a weather seal, too - is that just a 'press-n-peel' plastic membrane?

Yep - just discard it if you rip it up or it's rotten. Not entirely neccesary in my experience......actually I've never noticed a lick of difference without them.

GD

Yeah ... I was really surprised I didn't pop the glass with all the force I was putting on it ... I 1/2 expected that. That might have been an easier fix (just the glass) rather than replace bent door guts, hehe.

Live & Learn ... guess it's time to put the limo tint on there, too, while I'm at it, eh?

Thanks GD

That might have been an easier fix (just the glass) rather than replace bent door guts, hehe.
hold on, this might be a simple fix. i've seen the bolts jump over tabs before...can't really explain it too well.....but it could be just as easy as putting it back how it's supposed to be, 'ive done it before. first time it was easiest for me to pull both drivers side and passengers side door panels to see how things are supposed to line up. by comparing the two it was obvious that the one bolt/stopper/plastic tab thing (sorry, i know nothing about the right names for these parts), but it wasn't lined up right, it was as if the stopper was jumped. i loosen one bolt enough to bend or turn the stopper out of the way to bring the window where it should be and all was good. very easy fix.

hold on, this might be a simple fix.

I think I know what you mean. That's a good idea - thanks. With the tinting in mind, it makes it not such a bad task anymore, since I end up with something better when I'm done, rather than just getting it 'back to normal'. I'm gonna pull the other side 1st to do the tinting - so I'll have a good refererence point on how stuff is SUPPOSED to sit in there, hehe. I know I'm supposed to mark the points, so when I have them side by side, I can transfer the marks, if that turns-out to be what's wrong.