Ultimate Subaru Message Board

endlink quick disconnects

strat

i have a question... do you guys disconnect the sway bars to get more flex out of the suspension? i know jeep guys use quick disconnects for ease of removal to get more flex but i'm not sure if you'd damage the axles/diff since most jeeps are solid axle. i'm wondering because i have an idea of quick disconnects and may fab something up but i want to make sure i won't do any damage to the drivetrain before i disconnect the bars and start flexing.

thoughts?

i used a 20mm front sway at WCSS7...lol i dont if it would help, seeing as my sway bar endlinnk bushings are cracked and degraded like no other. so by the time all the bushings are smashed, the sway bar doesnt have much room to do anything in the way of transferring spring to the other wheel.

~Josh~

I've got a very quick disconnect. it took me about 5 minutes to remove it completely.

the subarus handle quite well without them, if you're wheeling hard enough that you think you should disconnect the sway bars, you shouldn't be driving hard enough onroad that you should need them.

most of my jeep-driving buddies have removed them onroad. you just have to learn to take it down a notch.

i don't want to remove the sway bars completely as i do want to be able to make an emergency lane change if need be and still be able to keep the car rubber side down...

if there's no problems flexing without the bars, i think i'll have to get to work fabbing something up.

i don't want to remove the sway bars completely as i do want to be able to make an emergency lane change if need be and still be able to keep the car rubber side down...

if there's no problems flexing without the bars, i think i'll have to get to work fabbing something up.

There should be no problem with the axles or anything else really. You might be able to get away with disconnecting just one side, assuming you have enough clearance for the bar to rotate up and down.

I find that the lack of articulation stops me on some trails before I run out of ground clearance, so this is a great mod!

the subaru suspension is very stable even without the sway bars. Even with a body lift, you can easily make an emergency lane change and not end up upside-down.

it sure is hard for me to land right side up when I have to swirve.... and I have my swaybar totally connected and tight... :eek:

when i lifted mine i totally disconnected my swaybar for flex and with 15" Buckshots on my wagon (EA82) it handled just fine and now with my 235/75-15 MT tires it handles better then before i lifted it. less understeer then when it was stock.

i say just get rid of it, i'm thinking about taking mine completely off so it quits hitting my control arm.

it sure is hard for me to land right side up when I have to swirve.... and I have my swaybar totally connected and tight... :eek:

hmmm.....something's not right there....maybe EA81's aren't as stable....

just noticed he's got a legacy.....that will be VERY stable without the sway bar. disconnect it from one side and take it for a test drive, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

$8 solved the problem :banana:

went to lowe's, picked up some 3/8" clevis pins and 4 pull style/hitch receiver cotter pins and bam... sway bar quick disconnects. easy to install, easy to remove, and the flex is awesome.