Ultimate Subaru Message Board

checking auto trans fluid 1998 outback 2.5

I just purchased a used 1998 outback wagon 2.5 L it didn't come with an owners manual. I want to know how to properly check the ATF hot ? cold? which gear ?

If someone can give me the correct proceedure I would appreciate it and also what type of fluid should I use if I need to add any?

One more thing the vavles sound a little noisy, I think this engine uses adjustable lifters. Is this normal or should I adjust the valeves or try an additive?

Thank you

I just purchased a used 1998 outback wagon 2.5 L it didn't come with an owners manual. I want to know how to properly check the ATF hot ? cold? which gear ?

If someone can give me the correct proceedure I would appreciate it and also what type of fluid should I use if I need to add any?

One more thing the vavles sound a little noisy, I think this engine uses adjustable lifters. Is this normal or should I adjust the valeves or try an additive?

Thank you

I believe the engine has lifters that require adjustment every 100 k miles. Other than be noisy I doubt they'll cuase much trouble for now. As for ATF, check looking on the driver side of the engine towards the firewall, for a yellow round handle. This is the ATF dipstick. To properly check, warm the car by driving it around town, then park it and leave it on. Move the shifter through all the gears, then check the level with the car idling. It should appear red/pink and thin. If it is dark or smells burnt, have it flushed (not just changed) to help the removal of buildup.

Here's how to check the level:

http://endwrench.com/pdf/drivetrain/02Winter4EATDiagServ.pdf

Probably uses Dexron-II or -III, but here's how to get a manual and be sure:

http://www.subaru.com/common/faq/index.jsp#6

I hope that helps.