Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, I'm just here to get some answers for my mom's car.

Basically when she turns the wheel sharply, at low speeds, she gets a grinding noise when the wheels are turned all the way/nearly all the way. I checked the CV joints, they are good. I then raised the front of the car to wiggle the wheels to check for bad wheel bearings, or bad tie rods (Don't know if the Subaru's have them, but I know this from my Camaro). Both wheels had about a quarter inch, maybe more, of play in them when wiggling in the left to right direction. I also noticed her strut/spring rotating with the tire, and I checked the nut at the top of the mount, and that was rotating ever so slightly too. Is this an indication that the bearing in the mount could be shot? Could her tie rods be bad, if they even exist? Or are Subarus supposed to do this? I'm kind of clueless on the specifics of these cars, as the suspension is different than my Camaro's. :confused:

Any other ideas?

Thanks

_Clark

You need to explain the 1/4" of play much better. That would tell me the front end is going to fall off.

Subarus have struts, tie rod ends, lower balljoints. What is the year model engine a mileage on the car :horse: . Is the grinding noise coming from the front or rear or middle of the car. When was the last time the car had front brakes done. Is it a grind, growl or rattle.

nipper

Okay, the 1/4" of play:

You are facing the driver's side tire, place one hand on the left side of the tire, and one hand on the right side of the tire (9 oclock and 3 oclock). When you wiggle it back and forth (towards the motor and away from the motor), there is a 1/4" of play. See, in my car, this would be an indication that the tie rods need replacing, but I wasn't sure if Subarus were the same. The coil/strut, and mounting bolt also rotate about the same amount relative to the tire's play.

When the noise happens, its pretty much a grinding, and then a growl, and stops after the turn is completed. It doesn't happen every time either, just time to time, but is becoming more frequent. It comes from the very front of the car, and she says it started at the driver's side and has gotten worse, and now happens on the passenger side, but is subtle so far.

The car is a 1994 Subaru Legacy wagon with 135,000 miles, and the 2.2L H4 engine. I'm not sure when the brakes were done, probably not for a while. My grandmother owned it before my mom, so I really don't know.

Sounds a lot like a bad wheel bearing. Have someone step on the brakes while you pull the tire in and out. If the pulling persists, probably a bad tie-rod. If the pulling stops, probably a bad wheel bearing.

Fully inspect the front end of the car.

Ok you have to look at the suspension parts while you are wiggling the tires. Jack up ONE wheel at a time. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 and shake it back and forth. Check for play. Thats the wheel bearing (and lower ball joint), use the brake rotor and the Axle or steering knuckle (or lower control arm) as your visual reference. For the tie rod grab the tire at 3 and 9 and LOOK at the tie rod end. There should be no play. Next using a long pole or 2x4 put it under the tire and have somone lift the wheel up on the pipe. Watch the lower balljoint for play. Also examine all the bushings as long as your there.

After your description with the grinding i would suspect wheel bearings. Tie rod and ball joints cause the car to wander oddly on the road while going straight.

nipper

Fully inspect the front end of the car.

Ok you have to look at the suspension parts while you are wiggling the tires. Jack up ONE wheel at a time. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 and shake it back and forth. Check for play. Thats the wheel bearing (and lower ball joint), use the brake rotor and the Axle or steering knuckle (or lower control arm) as your visual reference. For the tie rod grab the tire at 3 and 9 and LOOK at the tie rod end. There should be no play. Next using a long pole or 2x4 put it under the tire and have somone lift the wheel up on the pipe. Watch the lower balljoint for play. Also examine all the bushings as long as your there.

After your description with the grinding i would suspect wheel bearings. Tie rod and ball joints cause the car to wander oddly on the road while going straight.

nipper

Thanks man, I'll check it out, although, at 12 and 6 there is no play. Sorry I left that out, but I just didn't think about it. I'll do some of the other stuff you mentioned though.