Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 injectors

And it was over 1.5 years ago -I dare say.

Someone Had their injectors cleaned and then balanced - to flow at as tight as possible GPM flow rates.

Then they posted the data sheet next to the data sheet of the before the rebuild and the numbers were rather dramatic, to my memory anyways.....

The individual in question was I believe also an eastcoaster?

I also have a "gut feeling" the Flow rates of the EA82T injectors are less then the flow rates of the ER27. Why you ask? I don't remember but it had to do with Volume issues or the 'ilk.

And when I had a chance to get a set of XT6 injectors.. well I did - way back around the time of that posting as I was in prep for modifiying the turbo wagon and felt it would be wise to have on hand for tinkering iwith... well its still sitting on the shelf as it were.

hope that helps.

Oh and to add to the stew, i wanna say it was *sticky marked and archived for sure!

kevin (myxalplyx) was the injector pioneer you speak of and if im right, there was no drastic flow rate increase found while testing these injectors...

i think i do remember him saying that there was a rumor that injectors from an RX7 and XT6 maybe the same - but they were different beasts. for a while a few years ago, there were guys on iclub swapping in XT6 injectors because they "heard" of flow rate gains.

the search continues...but why would you want bigger injectors? itd be a tuning nitemare and our units dont begin to lean until 14+ PSI, id be afraid to boost anymore then that on any EA series engine.

I would think the engine *could* handle more than 14 PSI, maybe not much though! If corky could put SPFI pistons in his car with his turbo and run around 7 to 8 PSI, then I would think that a stock 7.7CR engine could handle more than 14PSI.

But i wouldn't know, never seen a suby or heard of one with more than that.

It is my understanding that an XT6 engine is almost quite literally an XT4 engine with two more cylinders... same pistons, everything... but nobody knows quite for sure, or have said anything anyways.

yeah - you could boost more then 14PSI, but im speaking in terms of reliability.

were dealing with engines that are prone to eating head gaskets and cracking heads on a stock 7-8lbs of boost, why aggravate the situation?

the stock compression ratio would obviously allow for higher boosting levels, but its not just about putting a boost controller on an engine and cranking it to 20PSI, theres much more that goes into it - which brings us to carfreaks initial question. also the stock turbo is plain garbage from a tuning stand point - after 14PSI it makes more noise then power, so anyone who expects to run vtechs and mustangs off the road needs to come up with a different unit.

the best bet is to find a larger turbo that is capable of force feeding the engine at a faster rate. lets face it - these engines were never designed to win any races...its up to the driver to come up with good methods of performance improvement. ive boosted my stock RX for fun, but the stock turbo on it at 13PSI is nothing like the legacy unit on my XT at 13PSI

ya heard?

I just got a complete XT6 manifold with injecotrs and im planning on messing with it and was wondering if the injectors would be an upgrade for my EA81T. so you think i should get a bigger turbo and stay away from XT6 injedctors? with your legacy turbo, when does the boost go positive? i know its really low for my turbo and i wouldnt want to sacrifice that boost low down to much for more high end power. does anyone have a legacy turbo they want to get rid of?

well, right now my boost is all high end because of a malfunctioning wastegate, no boost controller, and an uppipe gasket going out...the bad wastegate only allows for an inconsistent 15psi however there are mods to side step this and bring boost on quicker. the car is far from finished from this aspect though

one word of warning is that using this turbo poses an issue for the exhaust system - it wont bolt up to your exsisting downpipe. you would either have to go custom or use one from a newer WRX. my XT has a 3 pipe WRX system fitted, but its a tight squeeze and sits a bit lower then id like...id go custom or buy a cheap catless downpipe off of iclub and have meineke build you the rest.

on the positive side - the legacy unit is worth all the work it takes to get it to fit and you'd have the fastest ea81t around. as it sits right now, i can smoke all 4s with a semi-light clutch dump while using the big 15 inch impreza wheels...ah, not that i do that. alot.

so sounds like alegacy turbo is a worth while mod. ill look into getting one, but i dont know how much success ill have. the exhaust side of the turbo shouldnt be a problem as im planning a custom turbo back exhaust at some point, looks like i can just swap the turbos at that point. my question now is if the intake side of the turbo will bolt to the origional up-pipe? this would make it easier to mount, but would also give me a chance to upgrade the headers/up-pipe at the same time. do you have any other suggestions on mods for me to do?

sorry for leaving that out...

the legacy unit wont work with the exsisting up pipe either. best bet is to go custom all the way, or like i said - buy a $50 downpipe from somebody on iclub.

finding these turbos are kinda tough on my side of the country - i totally lucked out with mine, but believe me - its all totally worth the aggravation of searching yards and all. ive had 4 cars with ea82ts and none of them moved quite like this one does at higher boost levels...i think its the first step someone should take when aiming for 200+hp with an EA series engine.

the only other bit of advice i have is to make sure your cooling system is up to par because its huge temptation to stomp on the throttle and rev to 5 grand.

okay so my mouth got in the way again.

the top of the radiator should be the same width all the way across. about 1.5 inches wide = 2 core radiator

if its not the same width the entire length of the top of the radiator then its a single core.

This visualization can be done without a single tool. Other then your brain. :brow: and thats all i can offer dude.

Originally posted by carfreak85

does anyone know if the injectors on a XT6 are any larger than the injectors on an EA82T?

I have a set of Subaru 1.8ltr turbo injectors in my garage. Those injectors are not the same as the XT6's (2.7ltrs) injectors so they are not interchangable. I wished! :rolleyes:

Stock XT6 injectors are 185cc units. If you want big hp, stay away from them. Here's a pic of my stock ones before and after they were cleaned. Good luck!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/thomasck/XT6Fuel4.jpg

I tried to post the pic here but it is HUGE. 500k Sorry!

thats weird bacause other people have said that they are using EA82T injectors on their EA81Ts. unless i am mistaking what you said. sounds like sending those injectors to RC was worth it. how much did all that run you? seeing as how im interested in something like that.

thats weird bacause other people have said that they are using EA82T injectors on their EA81Ts. unless i am mistaking what you said.

I was stating that ER27 (2.7ltr XT6 engines) fuel injectors are not interchangeable with EA81T engine's injectors. EA81Ts and EA82Ts are probably swappable from what you are saying though.

how much did all that run you? seeing as how im interested in something like that.

It cost around $25 per injector for a total of $150.00. Sent out late one Monday afternoon and got it back Thursday. Injector cleaners didn't work so well for me and I was trying to rid the XT6 of the dreaded 'stair-step-acceleration-phenomenom' that so many of us experience. Also, I couldn't pin-point why my car was running so lean during nitrous runs causing me to shut down midway between runs. I wanted to be sure the injectors weren't a factor from being too dirty and I needed to know just how much they flowed. I know now the best thing I could've done was run a wet nitrous kit but unfortunately, there weren't any Zex wet nitrous kits out. Now there is. :headbang: I think I'm finished trying to do anything with the XT6 for now though.