Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cant get engine mounts to line up! (EA82T)

STUPID ENGINE! Got the passenger side mount to go right into the hole in the XMember.... but the drivers side of the engine wont move back far enough. Ive been dickin with this thing for the past 2 hours. It seems like the Valve Cover on the drivers side is hitting the master cylinder and not allowing the engine to move back far enough... so i moved the block over to clear the master cylinder but I cant seem to get the block to move back. Its like an inch off, and no matter what i do the damn thing wont line up.

Anyone have any trix up their sleeves?

-Brian

Ok Ken... i dont see any upper trans mounts anywhere. I loosened all the main mounting points down below, and felt around best I could... but nothing up top. Seems like its pivoting on something back there though, but i cant see anything or feel anything. The valve cover keeps hitting the master cylinder when i rock the engine, cant get the mount any closer to the hole though. And now my back is killing me.

-Brian

is the tranny on a jack? take out the pitch bar if it has been installed already.

you can jack the tranny enough for the studs to hover over their holes. you can twist and aneuver the otor about to line up

lower the jack enough so the studs touch the frae with a little bit of weight. use a long screwdriver, crowbar, etc, you can walk thestuds around till they go in their holes, one at a time

if this still proves to be difficult, loosen the motor mounts theselves from the motor, just enough that you can wiggle them. its easiest to get the front bolt from underneath and the back bolt from above behind the motor

I guess it helps if you have the mounts on correctly. D'OH! Had the drivers side mount on backwards.

Fixed! Motors in.

-Brian

I was gonna ask you if you had the engine mounts on correctly but I didn't think you were gonna be that stupid...

Guess I was wrong:horse: :grin:

I was gonna ask you if you had the engine mounts on correctly but I didn't think you were gonna be that stupid...

Guess I was wrong:horse: :grin:

hey come on. we all have had that DOH! moment before.

Junkie was just kind enough to share it with us all:drunk:

When i had the engine in the air and bolted the mounts on, i test fit both to make sure I couldnt put the left mount on the right side by mistake. And you cant... they are made so they fit on the correct side. However, they can be installed backwards and look right :-\

Instead of removing the motor from the transmission and pulling it out... i just used the hoist and lifted it as high as i could... then spent about 90 minutes removing the engine mount and re-installing it. It was a pain in the rump roast... but its all over with now. :headbang:

-Brian