Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to Treat a Brand New Legacy

Andy,

While Im not a Subaru owner yet, I did work 3 years as an auto mechanic back in college and I can offer afew "general" auto maintenance "pearls" for you....esp if you are in it for long haul (ie 100k+). Aside from the standard maintenance that is prescribed, here are a few things to pay attention to:

1.) Brake fluid -- Change it every 30K or 2 years. Nobody does this, then they wonder why their calipers have siezed or master cyl is shot at 130k. Replacing is labor intensive if you can't do it yourself, unfortunately.

2.) Thermostat -- Replace every 30K or 2 years. Flush/replace coolant at same time. Don't wait for it to fail and the car to overheat. Overheating is the #1 cause for headgasket failure on any car.

3.) CV boots -- Check at every oil change. A little tear caught early can save the joint and big $$ for you. Probably not much risk of this until higher mileage.

4.) Synthetic oil -- Ask your Subaru mechanic about using it and when to switch (or if it came with from factory). If used from the beginning of the car's life, it can have tremendous life long benefits.

One thing you would notice is how clean the fluids are. I feel the same way about brake fluid.

The darn stuff is hydroscopic and the system will rust and corrode if you don't change it.

Now with so many cars having ABS it can get really expensive not to.

On my BMW the ABS pump is about 2 grand and I don't imagine a Subaru is that far off.

I also spend many misspent years as a mechanic and a shop manager and learned to appreciate synthetic oil.

On an old car like my 99 with a hundred thousand on it I am not sure it pays for itself.

But on my high performance BMW you can bet there is synthetic in it.

Well you can get the Outback Limited for the same price as the Legacy GT. With the legacy GT you get the sportshift which is pretty cool but it didn't seem worth it to me, it is about 5 grand more. Basicaaly it came down to cash, if I had the extra cash I probably would have gone for the Outback Limited

Thanks for the tips... the dealer said to stay away from synthetic oil until about 4,000 miles...I guess the seals have trouble seating themselves.

I live in an area where it is around 100 degrees all summer:banghead: and it is around 40 in the winter...:santa: what oil do you guys suggest I use...I am thinking of going for synthetic at around 4,000 miles...how often will I need to change it out for normal, every day driving?

Oil is a very complex issue. Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com if you are really interested in oil and filters.

I wouldn't go more than 5000 to 7500 miles between drains with synthetic oil without oil analysis to verify that going further is ok. I would definately stick to 3000 mile intervals with conventional oil. Some may think I am too conservative with those recommendations but when I take apart an engine that I have maintained it is CLEAN inside. Right now I am doing 7500 mile intervals with amsoil synthetic (10w-30 ATM) and amsoil filters (SDF-20). At the end of the month I am going to switch to 5w-30 for the winter.

Of course if you care for your car you will never let a quick lube "mechanic" touch it. Proper replacement of the PCV valve prevents sludge in the engine and prevents oil leaks, so do that too. Air filters also play a big role in engine wear. I recommend using only genuine Subaru parts.

Originally posted by andyhaussler

Sounds good, thanks for the info, how often do you suggest replacing the PCV valve.

At the interval that Subaru recommends. I only mention it because I get the impression from people that I talk to that it is one of those things that people seem to neglect. Another thing people neglect is changing the fluid and filter in the auto tranny.

Synthetic oil used at any point in the life of an engine will virtually stop wear as soon as you start to use it. Granted because of it's increased viscosity it might cause some oil seepage at valve cover gaskets etc. But I have never personally experimented to see if this was for sure.