Ultimate Subaru Message Board

300ZX TT Vs Subaru Impreza STI

Don't forget that the STi also has a 6 speed. As for top speed you will never know. The STi is electronically limited to around 145, but it gets there in a hurry. I do know that the STi beats the new 350Z, but I'm still waiting for the turbo 350Z. That will be sick!

Keith

Groan...why do people insist on throwing horsepower figures around. First, the figures mentioned are flywheel or crank not wheel horsepower. Second, the Z has 1 more turbo and 2 more cylinders. My guess is the Z will make much more torque than the STI. And last, the Z has a far greater potential to make power than the STI. A cat back, intake, and chip, and you're looking at 500 (flywheel) horsepower. I've personally seen a stock 96 Z race a new STI, no contest, not evev close, granted, anything can happen on the street adn a lot of times it boils down to the driver. I never have to worry though, I have both a new WRX and a 95 Z-28 (dynoed at 425 rwhp) and I have yet to be taken on the street. :headbang:

Originally posted by jmalzak

I wouldn't take advice from anyone that thinks that the 6 speed can go faster since it has 6 gears instead of 5, simpleton?:banghead:

\

Umm, did you bother to read my reply?

#1, did I say it was faster??? NO

#2, Was it ever mentioned if we were discussing an unlimited straight road or if we were talking about a 1/4 mile run, or a lap around Lime Rock????? NO

#3, Did I not say that as far as top speed goes you would never know because the STi is Electronically limited???? YES

So, where exactly do I say that it can go faster because it has the six speed. If you want to get technical a six speed on a road track will beat the same car with a five speed any day. In a quarter mile drag the car with 5 speed would win. In the open never ending straight road the two would probably be a wash, but it still might lean towards the six speed. It's all about keeping the car in the power band effectively. Each type of "race" has different requirements and is handled differently. No matter how you look at it there is a difference and therefore should be mentioned when asking the grand question of which car is faster.

So, Who appears to be the simpleton?

Keith

Originally posted by scoobynuts

Groan...why do people insist on throwing horsepower figures around. First, the figures mentioned are flywheel or crank not wheel horsepower.

You're right about the flywheel vs wheel point. Still boils down to Power vs. weight. They had a cool article in Sport Compact car where an Integra powered lotus took on a Mustang Cobra. The lotus won in just about all the tests. Less power, but also a lot less weight.

Also, 500hp is easy to get from the Z32. I don't think 700 is even that hard, and that can be done on mostly stock internals from what I've seen.

Keith

Nissian 96 300Z turbo specs from http://www.supercars.net

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1996@$Nissan@$300ZX%20Turbog.html

flywheel horse power 300

flywheel torq 283

weight 3481 lbs

topspeed 249.4 kph / 155.0 mph

0-60 6.5 seconds

0 -1/4 mile 15.0 seconds

0 - 100MPH 16.5 seconds

Lateral Acceleraction 0.91g

slalom no way can 300z out slalom a STI No way posible, the STI beats Zo6 corvetts

60-0 not going to beat the STI dont know but its not as good as the STI.

EPA City/highway 18 / 24 mpg

Subaru 04 WRX STI specs from sport compact car.

wheel horse power 257

wheel torue 266

curb weight 3263 lbs

0-60 4.9 seconds

0-1/4 mile 13.1 @105 mph

0-100 less than 13 secs

lateral acceration 0.91g

slaom speed 70.7 mph

60-0 110 feet

Over all the STI ties(once)or beats the 300z in every contest of speed, I bet the STI can even go 155MPH.

You would have to do alot to get the 300z to run 13.1 sec quarter miles times, thats almost 2 full seconds off the 1/4 mile time. With the money invested into the 300Z you could get a new exhust, and intake for the STI and get it onto the higher 12 sec barrier, and you wouldent have the problemsb getting the power to the ground.

Also sport compact car has a 300z with 560 wheel horse power and 549 foot pounds of torq at the wheels, and it runs a 12.8 sec quarter mile. they say it has problems with bog or boil, and it has a very hard time getting the power to the ground. They said with a clutch that wouldent grab so hard it would run a low12 high 11, but it runs a 12.8. with the money they invested in the 300z you could have a brand new STI and about 15 grand to mess around with. Iam sure you could get the STI into the 11s with that much money. It dosent matter how much power you have, it matters how fast you can go.

wrx subaru, quit making stats up... the 300 zx tt doesnt run a 15 second 1/4 mile, obviously your going to go for the sti since your all about subaru's (hence your name). So just go post your bullcrap stats somewhere else

check autos.msn.com for the real stats

Originally posted by jmalzak

wrx subaru, quit making stats up... the 300 zx tt doesnt run a 15 second 1/4 mile, obviously your going to go for the sti since your all about subaru's (hence your name). So just go post your bullcrap stats somewhere else

check autos.msn.com for the real stats

auto.msn.com doesnt work, maybe you should list bullcrap web addreses some were else.

Stock for stock the sti is faster. However good luck finding a stock tt 300zx. The very basic upgrades on that car give about 300 rwhp, and 400-500rwhp is very duable on stock turbos and internals. There are some turbo upgrade kits coming out now for that car thet get about 800-900 flywheel hp.

The numbers from above "super cars.net" are way off, the 96 300zx has less hp than the 90-95 (due to odbii emissions) it had 280hp, while the 90-95 had 300hp. The 300zx is a horrible drag car, the rear suspension is way overengineered antisquat setup so you get a lot of wheel spin on hard take offs. Stock these cars run about 13.8-14.2 sec quarters, the n/a's stock (222hp) run about 15-15.5 quarters and about 14.2-15.9 modified.

Having said that they are great cars, awsome to take on wisty roads mt passes, etc. Finally getting mine back today form the shop after getting it stollen(grrr).

Over all the STI ties(once)or beats the 300z in every contest of speed, I bet the STI can even go 155MPH.

You would have to do alot to get the 300z to run 13.1 sec quarter miles times, thats almost 2 full seconds off the 1/4 mile time. With the money invested into the 300Z you could get a new exhust, and intake for the STI and get it onto the higher 12 sec barrier, and you wouldent have the problemsb getting the power to the ground.

Also sport compact car has a 300z with 560 wheel horse power and 549 foot pounds of torq at the wheels, and it runs a 12.8 sec quarter mile. they say it has problems with bog or boil, and it has a very hard time getting the power to the ground. They said with a clutch that wouldent grab so hard it would run a low12 high 11, but it runs a 12.8. with the money they invested in the 300z you could have a brand new STI and about 15 grand to mess around with. Iam sure you could get the STI into the 11s with that much money. It dosent matter how much power you have, it matters how fast you can go.

Your trying to tell me that after buying a 300zx for 10,000 and a sti for 34,000 and putting 24,000 dollars worth of mods into the 300zx that it will still be slower then the stock STI?

Are you out of your mind buddy?:madder:

As long as you didn't spend 23,000 on body decals and body kits that you probably do, cause you think it makes your car faster then you could easily invest in better turbos and what not, it wouldn't be hard to get the car faster then the sti with 24,000 dollars.......wowwwww you amaze me :dead:

All I am saying is the money that the magazine spent on the 300Z must be over $40,000 you could buy a brand new STI and invest the rest on it into the motor and have a faster car. They did spend money that dident need to be spent on the car,nesaceraly but they spent it on the car so they would retain some reliblity. putting out 600 horsepower on a car that came stock with 300 horsepower things will break if you leave them stock. They dident spend that much on the body kits. They had the engine rebuilt from scrach, with beefier internals, new turbos, inercooler, and they replaced most plastic stuff under the hood with metal so they wont melt, becasue 300z have a reputaion for havong extremley high temps under the hood. The toyota 2jzegte engine one of the strongest enignes made can only handle about 600 horse on stock internals, but it will break something within 10,000 miles garentied. Iam not syaing you cant make a 300z that can go faster in a stright line than a STI excpecialy with 24 grand all aim saying is to retain reliblity and still be faster in a stright line is alot harder.

quote from Dan-"You would have to do alot to get the 300z to run 13.1 sec quarter miles times, thats almost 2 full seconds off the 1/4 mile time. With the money invested into the 300Z you could get a new exhust, and intake for the STI and get it onto the higher 12 sec barrier, and you wouldent have the problemsb getting the power to the ground." DUDE a twin turbo 300zx would stomp all over a sti! Especially if u turned up the boost a little bit! Come on man! Dan speaks alot of crap... LOL... Just look at Coreys supra! It took him what 26$? to get the boost controler thing and go WAY faster! And this 300z would smash on his car! And he even talks about how he thinks he could beat an Sti!

:burnout: