Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

disable day time headlamps?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zephyr

Zephyr

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Kansas City, Kansas USA

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

05 LW.

Occasionally, I would like the ability to shut off my headlamps while the car is running at night. For instance, we frequent the local astronomy club events and ruining the night vision of 50 people is not a very sociable act. :-\

Any suggestions?

#2 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,201 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

Don't they go off when you lift the parking brake handle? Usually 1 click up turns them off.

#3 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:35 PM

What suzam sed.

#4 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:33 PM

05 LW.

Occasionally, I would like the ability to shut off my headlamps while the car is running at night. For instance, we frequent the local astronomy club events and ruining the night vision of 50 people is not a very sociable act. :-\

Any suggestions?

Cross-examination (;)): what are those 50 other persons doing to prevent ruining their collective night vision ?

#5 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:52 PM

if it is the parking brake thing, you could wire in a 2nd switch... because there's a little switch (that turns on the 'brake' light) that is depressed (opened/closed) when you move the parking brake lever... or you could even throw a switch on the main power to the headlights.. but that gets sketchy if you're drawing alot of amperage, and have a crappy switch...
could be a nice mod if you make a fancy switch in the dash for it :rolleyes:

#6 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:04 AM

On legacygt.com there is a thread on disabling them. 05 OB's have had problems burning up bulbs (though covered on bumper-to-bumper warranty). Others don't like them because they forget to turn on the headlights.

#7 Juan

Juan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:45 AM

On legacygt.com there is a thread on disabling them. 05 OB's have had problems burning up bulbs (though covered on bumper-to-bumper warranty). Others don't like them because they forget to turn on the headlights.

Just pull the parking brake. That shuts them off.

Still, the headlight icon/light should AT LEAST go out if only the parking lights are on. They sure dropped the ball there. Don't know how many miles I drove at night thinking that my headlights were on because the headlight icon was on, only to discover that I had been driving with the low-light drivers on at night.

Juan.

#8 Zephyr

Zephyr

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Kansas City, Kansas USA

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:36 AM

Cross-examination (;)): what are those 50 other persons doing to prevent ruining their collective night vision ?

In the US, it hasn't been law to have day time running lamps (maybe things have changed recently?). So there is a relatively very small amount of cars on the road that have daytime lamps- although it is becoming more and more common.

Most of the club will roll into the field with their lights off, driving by star/moon light. Occasionally a car here or there will roll in with daytime lights, or maybe a visitor will stop in that is unfamiliar with the etiquite.

Thanks for the responses all! My wife has the subaru this week so I haven't had a chance to test it out, but it sounds like I have many options. Thanks!

#9 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the explanation.
http://images.google...1CrabNebula.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users