Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 LW.

Occasionally, I would like the ability to shut off my headlamps while the car is running at night. For instance, we frequent the local astronomy club events and ruining the night vision of 50 people is not a very sociable act. :-\

Any suggestions?

05 LW.

Occasionally, I would like the ability to shut off my headlamps while the car is running at night. For instance, we frequent the local astronomy club events and ruining the night vision of 50 people is not a very sociable act. :-\

Any suggestions?

Cross-examination (;)): what are those 50 other persons doing to prevent ruining their collective night vision ?

if it is the parking brake thing, you could wire in a 2nd switch... because there's a little switch (that turns on the 'brake' light) that is depressed (opened/closed) when you move the parking brake lever... or you could even throw a switch on the main power to the headlights.. but that gets sketchy if you're drawing alot of amperage, and have a crappy switch...

could be a nice mod if you make a fancy switch in the dash for it :rolleyes:

On legacygt.com there is a thread on disabling them. 05 OB's have had problems burning up bulbs (though covered on bumper-to-bumper warranty). Others don't like them because they forget to turn on the headlights.

Just pull the parking brake. That shuts them off.

Still, the headlight icon/light should AT LEAST go out if only the parking lights are on. They sure dropped the ball there. Don't know how many miles I drove at night thinking that my headlights were on because the headlight icon was on, only to discover that I had been driving with the low-light drivers on at night.

Juan.

Cross-examination (;)): what are those 50 other persons doing to prevent ruining their collective night vision ?

In the US, it hasn't been law to have day time running lamps (maybe things have changed recently?). So there is a relatively very small amount of cars on the road that have daytime lamps- although it is becoming more and more common.

Most of the club will roll into the field with their lights off, driving by star/moon light. Occasionally a car here or there will roll in with daytime lights, or maybe a visitor will stop in that is unfamiliar with the etiquite.

Thanks for the responses all! My wife has the subaru this week so I haven't had a chance to test it out, but it sounds like I have many options. Thanks!