Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension travel?

Sweet82

The Buggy is getting to the point of needing rear shocks. :banana:

I'm ready to fabricate the shock mounts.........but........

I need to know how much suspension travel that a stock EA81 Hatch rear end... :moon: is capable of?

Whats anyone running in the shock department?:burnout:

Thanks,

Glenn,

82 Hatch, wasn't ready for Moab last weekend and had to stay home :banghead:

01 Forester, went to Moab earlier this year. :wave:

EA81 Hatchback with 3" BYB lift. I've got shocks spec'ed for a FJ60 Landcruiser. They allow an extra 2-3" of travel. I was hyperextending the rear axles but hopefully that will stop now that I'm running the extra-stretchy Rguyver mod axles. (That means means later model EA82 rear axle stretch joints on both ends of my EA81 axle shafts.) Seems to work so far but only time will tell.

To determine the suspension travel you have to measure at the stub axle centerline in the relax mode and bring it up 'til it hits the bump stop that will give you the total travel.

Set the car on jackstand with tire off and let the suspension drop (relax) and bring the arm up.

It's difficult when you have the torsion bar fighting the up travel.

Maybe you can make something that pivots and parralel to the arm and raise it up and down to get some measurements.

Also I think the shock is holding the arm on the downward travel so you might have to take it off to get the full drop.

In short, I don't know the exact travel of the Subaru rear suspension.

I hope this helps,

DEL

Hi there Mike!

I don't have any shocks on now so nothing is limiting my downward travel for measuring. However once up and running, If I need to put a limiting strap on, I can do that but I just figured, I'd get a shock longer than what the travel would be so I wouldn't pull my shocks apart.

The problem I'm up against is compression of the shock, if I jack up one rear wheel the other side just lifts up. The Buggy is too light to compress it's own suspension.:banghead: I can lift it with one hand:eek:

I then tried jacking up a front wheel to force the opposite rear down. I came up with around a 6" compression but I don't know if this is the maximum allowable travel?:cornfuzz:

Another problem I'm worried about is if it finishes out real light a standard shock may be too stiff for such a light buggy?

Still looking for suggestions,

Glenn

82 Hatch? well sort of...

01 Forester!

the rx has 3 inches of suspension lift. we simplt made extensions for the coilover(you could use longer coilovers.)

the only bind on the lower control arm was that on the bushings. if you loosen the bolts up the bushings will relax to that posture.

we dropped the mustache bar the same amount to keep the axles relative to the hub an diff, just like they were. also a 2 inch drop shackle on the diff mount, to keep the ujoints from binding.

its all real simple to do if tou get under there and take a look for your contemplations!

I don't have a drive line or axles in at the moment.

I don't want to put my axles back in just for this travel issue?

I was hoping someone would just know what the travel was with out having to install the axle.:mad:

I am planning on having the diff/hanger bar at about a 6 degree forward slope. Does the diff have to be level? I can build the hanger to any position.

Thanks,

Glenn

82 Hatch, well sort of.......

01 Forester!

• 7 months later...

"The problem I'm up against is compression of the shock, if I jack up one rear wheel the other side just lifts up. The Buggy is too light to compress it's own suspension.:banghead: I can lift it with one hand:eek: "

Maybe look into the idea of cross linked air shocks combined with some motorcycle coil-overs if it's really that light. When you compress one side it causes the pressure in the other to rise keeping that wheel down on the ground.

Brad

Bythesea,

This was an old thread, I have since resolved my suspension issues.

FYI I used BugPac coilovers in the rear. I currently have the coils off the shocks because the old torsion bar seems to support the buggy just fine. If I find I need more lift or whatever I can always put the coils back on.

Last weekend Harpua and I "ramp tested" the buggy. We were able to get it around "16 off before the rear came off.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester