Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Making your own gauge sending unit adaptor...

While installing aftermarket guages I noticed that they usually don't come with the appropriate subaru thread adaptor - for the oil pressure and the coolant temp sensor. I came up with a neat trick for this tonight. After being dissapointed once again by the contents of a newly aquired mech. oil guage (cheap wall mart model, but same problem with the Autometer setup I got), I had an idea - I grabbed a used up oil pressure sender (leaks from the bottom, but I kept it as a backup), and made my own. Here's what you need:

1 used oil pressure sender (EA81, EA82 are the same)

1 10 x 1.0 tap

1 23/64 Drill Bit

Some form of cutting device - I used an angle grinder as it was handy and had a thin cutting abrasive already in it. Could use a hacksaw too - it's only brass, and cuts easy.

Here's the pic - I'm sure you can figure out how to do it with the materials list:)

Just be vary careful drilling the brass - I recommed a vise so you use both hands on the drill. Also - drill from the threaded end down that way the part you tap with threads will be perfectly round - the threaded end will wobble out a bit as you push the drill through. Unless you have a drill press of course...

new_adaptor.jpg

GD

ea82 = 1/8 bspt

this topic has been discussed quite well :banghead:

Sure but again, the BSPT thread does not come in any normal guage kits and the adapter is about $6-13 depending on who you get it from. Looks like he is offering a DIY approach if you've got a spare sender laying around.

oh, sure go ahead and do it the wrong way!

there is a plug you are supposed to remove to instal correctly

ea81 = 1/8 NPT ea82 = 1/8 bspt

First - what exactly is wrong about it? The fact that I spent no money? I think not.

The plug you refer to is nearly impossible to get out most times - 5mm hex plug on the EA82, and on the EA81 the square peice is not much better. At any rate, most kits don't have that size either as noted above.

Also - yes I thought about running both gauges, but after having bashed in at least two stock oil pressure senders on my lifted wagon, I decided to do away with the sender completely. Yes - you could relocate it with a right angle fitting, and some braided line - then anchor the sender to the fender, but this is simpler, and cheaper. I have a tap and die set, and drill bits already. The old senders can be pocketed or bought for about $1 at any yard and I already have a few laying around.... the wally world gauge is like $7.

The object is to keep it simple and cheap - which I think I did. Argue with it if you like, but it works and it's reversible. It's not like I welded the thing in.

GD

oooh. I need to do this one.

I dented and bent my sender through my skid plate...

I also tried to get the little plug out so I could install a DL light switch, to run my fuel pump, but it wouldn't come out.

so in theory, I could make a fitting to run a guage and a dummy light switch ...

Weird - I tried a 6mm hex, and it wouldn't fit - 5mm is just a bit too small. WTF is it so special for? Why not just put a simple square plug in there like the EA81? I wonder what Subaru was thinking. Oh well - don't need any special tools my way :banana:

*edit* - I looked up that tool part, and the EA82 in my driveway is not the square plug like that - it needs an external hex key socket.... which I have - both standard and metric. The 6mm is too big, and the 5mm was just a teensy bit too small...... I'll have to get a pic I guess. Perhaps this oil pump was rebuilt at some point and instead of the stock square plug they installed a hex plug.

So apparently it *should* be the same plug as the EA81 has - still would have to buy an adapter for it tho.

GD

the way to remove the plug is with the snapon special socket 6mm square, pmp406a, also fits brake adjusting screws, and lash adjusters :)

tried that. plug would not move... now the only way to get it out would be a drill and tap :)