Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just Bought my first Subaru

hey guys im 19 years old and i live in Wisconsin and i just bought my first subaru. Its a 1986 subaru BRAT GL. and i would like to know some thing about it. some of the things are like wheel bolt pattern and if there is an engine swap for it or do you have to put it on a different frame. I i have a lot of Big Plans for my brat but i really need some help with so if you guys can help it be greatly apreshated.

thanks

Davido

hey guys im 19 years old and i live in Wisconsin and i just bought my first subaru. Its a 1986 subaru BRAT GL. and i would like to know some thing about it. some of the things are like wheel bolt pattern and if there is an engine swap for it or do you have to put it on a different frame. I i have a lot of Big Plans for my brat but i really need some help with so if you guys can help it be greatly apreshated.

thanks

Davido

Wheel pattern: 4x140mm. Pretty much only 80s subaru wheels or various puegot wheels will fit. If you search the forums, you can find stuff on doing a 5 lug swap from an XT6, or you can redrill your hubs to 6 lug.

Engine swap: Many people have put in EJ series engines (like the 2.2L in the legacies). No need for a different frame if you stay in the subaru family. Some just may require more cutting and hacking than others. You could even swap in an EA82T to net you some more power.

If you want more info on any of that, the search link is right at the top of the page!

greetings from wisconsin? how far are you from milwaukee?

you can swap in an ea82 and use the same intake and tranny. so much with this if you felt like it you can swap in the wiring harness for spfi and turbo

also a 5spd tranny can be swapped in as well.

a 5spd over the 4spd with the samme otor will be more beneficial than a different motor with the same tranny

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/subaru.htm

greetings from wisconsin? how far are you from milwaukee?

you can swap in an ea82 and use the same intake and tranny. so much with this if you felt like it you can swap in the wiring harness for spfi and turbo

also a 5spd tranny can be swapped in as well.

a 5spd over the 4spd with the samme otor will be more beneficial than a different motor with the same tranny

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/subaru.htm

i live about an hour north of milwaukee. And i have a quetion for you what is a ea82 and what will that do for my brat. and will the ea82 bolt right to the tranny.

• 1 month later...
Wheel pattern: 4x140mm. Pretty much only 80s subaru wheels or various puegot wheels will fit. If you search the forums, you can find stuff on doing a 5 lug swap from an XT6, or you can redrill your hubs to 6 lug.

Engine swap: Many people have put in EJ series engines (like the 2.2L in the legacies). No need for a different frame if you stay in the subaru family. Some just may require more cutting and hacking than others. You could even swap in an EA82T to net you some more power.

If you want more info on any of that, the search link is right at the top of the page!

hey thanks for the info but i have some more question? one of them being what is xt6 and where can i find it. and which would give me more power the legacie motor or the ea82t and where could i find spec for all of these thing thanks a lot

Davido

EA81: pushrod 1.8 liter - your car has one

EA82: overhead cam 1.8 liter - most 1985-1989 cars have them

XT6: an XT with 6 cylinders (ER27, similar to EA82)

EJ22 and EJ25: the 2.2 and 2.5 liter engines found in most Legacys, Imprezas and Forresters

The EJ22 will probably give you more power and reliability than an EA82T (turbo).

The EA82 will bolt to your transmission, not sure about the EJ22