Ultimate Subaru Message Board

belt question

Guest JwX

did the ea-82 ever come with no p/s but with a/c? if it did what was the part number on the belt and does anybody have a pic of how it was setup?:rolleyes: cause I want to do away with power steering on my gl-10 but I have to keep the a/c cause the alt bolts to that

Guest calebz

Thats funny, I was recently giving thought to the same thing.. My ps has been problematic, so I was thinking about putting a manual steering rack on it

Guest Konrad

when i wanted to have more h power in winter, i took down the power steering(the wheel) and replace 2 belts ( EA82)

with a belt from 84 GL sedan(EA81), it has no ps or a/c, and it worked,.....

konrad

1989 DL Wagon 5spd D/R with LSD

1984 GL Sedan RWD

1982 DL Sedan 4WD

Guest oobnuker

Trial and error always work too - you can just measure the span with a piece of clothes line or something. Most belts are marked in inches also. An understanding parts counter guy helps too...

I did away with everything except the water pump and the alternator and I think I ended up with a 32" belt. This car used to be power steering and A/C.

Also - no real need to swap the rack unless you really want to. I'm running with the power steering rack in place and have had no problems for a year now. Maybe offroading, rock crawling, or something, or maybe with larger than stock tires it would become an issue - but otherwise it is basically effortless to turn the wheel anyway once you're moving.

Guest 5280wagon

i did away with my ps. i can't say that i feel a difference powerwise, but at least i don't have to worry about the leaky rack anymore. marco

Guest oobnuker

I didn't really notice a big power difference - but the engine revs a lot faster - which works out to a noticeable driveability change.