Ultimate Subaru Message Board

JDM Projector Headlamps and foglights???

The headlamps are, for one thing, illegal to drive with in a US car. They're built for left-side driving, so your beam pattern will be all wrong for right-side.

The fogs might be ok, and i've been watching the fog/driving light combos on ebay recently (they seem to go around 70-100+$80 in shipping).

What is the difference between these and the stock headlamps and foglights that come standard on the car?

Has anybody installed JDM fogs into their Legacy's USDM bumper. Have an idea of what I have to do, but looking for a little more instruction.

From what i read on the ebay site, even they tell you that you have to modify the mounting brackets for the JDM fogs. Drop the seller an email and if its who i think it is they may be able to tell you.... but i know you need to do some metal work, its not a bolt on.

nipper

the look of the projectors is nice, my brother has a set of BD/BG projectors on his 1995 legacy, it looks sweet. the only thing is he doesnt have them aimed right so the beam pattern is all messed up. i looked into those JDM fogs once also, but when i noticed you had to do some custom mounting crap i decided that if i wanted fogs, i would just spend $50-$75 on some nice ones and be sure they would work. rather than spending $200 on something ill have to modify to get to work, and put out the beam i want.

~Josh~

the look of the projectors is nice, my brother has a set of BD/BG projectors on his 1995 legacy, it looks sweet. the only thing is he doesnt have them aimed right so the beam pattern is all messed up. i looked into those JDM fogs once also, but when i noticed you had to do some custom mounting crap i decided that if i wanted fogs, i would just spend $50-$75 on some nice ones and be sure they would work. rather than spending $200 on something ill have to modify to get to work, and put out the beam i want.

~Josh~

Do you have any real sense of how well the JDM projectors work compared to other fogs? Are they effective, or just cool looking?

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently purchased a pair of them off the internet for a steal @ 197$ (used) which is the lowest ive even seen one win at. I dont have them fully installed into my 97 GT legacy, but when i do i will let you all know.

So far i have had to hack the stock fog openings to a larger size as these fogs are way bigger all around. I am going to have to do some wire cutting because the stock harness does not support the one supplied. Last but not least....my problem....is mounting them, I need to make my own brackets as the ones they come with wont fit in any way. I think im going to use the old fog light brackets and make a plate to go across the top of the JDM fogs to mount them to.......im going to test the aim of the fogs before i place the bumper so i can adjust them accordingly so they are aiming the right direction.....ill keep you all posted on how this goes.