Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Where to find a plastic clutch alignment tool?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

Hi all,
I'm finally getting around to dropping the ej22 into my '98 Legacy outback and was wondering if anybody knows where to get one of those plastic molded clutch disc alignment tools for a Subaru? Usually they are included when you buy an aftermarket clutch kit, but I bought OEM parts and consequently didn't get one. I've used those "universal" alignment tools in the past (with the cone and the interchangable sleeves to fit into the center hole of the pilot bearing) and wasn't really impressed with how it worked (it was on a Honda and the amount of free play in the alignment tool made it completely worthless.) Anybody have pointers or a source for buying the plastic alignment tool?

thanks,
Nathan

#2 tunered

tunered

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • vincent,ohio

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

around my neck of the woods autozone and advance will rent or loan you that tool,check some of your local parts stores.

#3 a97obw

a97obw

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

LIke yourself, I bought the OEM components from a dealership a la carte. And I also had to go in search of the magical mystical made of the finest unobtanium clutch alignment tool for a Subaru.

I wound up buying the "one tool does all" from NAPA that as you say is a rod with a sliding cone and a bunch of different pilot bearing adapters that thread on to the rod. About $26 or so. The adapter that fits the Subaru pilot bearing does make a nice fit however.

Then I spent 4 $#^^@ days looking for the only missing pilot bearing adapter from the kit AFTER getting the engine back in the car:eek: I finally found it:banana: in a zip lock bag that it somehow jumped into.

I've seen a bunch of the plastic ones on ebay for like $5 or so.......

#4 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:18 AM

If you can find one get a mainshaft froma junk tranny. They are the best of all.

#5 WAWalker

WAWalker

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • Montana

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

I had a bunch of them at one time. May have throwen them out. I will look when I get to the shop tomarrow.

#6 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll check e-bay for them, if not, then it's nice to know that the universal one fits well. Unless WAWalker comes through for me- let me know if you find one kicking around...

Nathan

#7 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:56 PM

I had a bunch of them at one time. May have throwen them out. I will look when I get to the shop tomarrow.

OK, well, I just decided to pop for one on e-bay, so no need to waste time looking for one. Thanks so much for the offer though!

Nathan

#8 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,043 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

Both Clutch Kits I purchased came with the alignment tool as part of the Kit.

#9 WAWalker

WAWalker

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • Montana

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:22 AM

Well I have one extra.
Wish I would have know there was a demand for them when I was cleaning house.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users